Women’s Basketball Cracks National Rankings
Women’s Basketball Cracks National Rankings for First Time
The 11-5 SUNY Delhi women’s basketball team once again held on to its number-six spot in the latest USCAA Division II Coaches’ Rankings. This marks the fourth time in as many weeks the Broncos have been ranked sixth.
The Broncos are off to their best start under third-year head coach Vicki Andruskiewicz. It’s also the first time in program history the team has been nationally ranked.
Andruszkiewicz’s team opened the 2018 leg of the season beating Central Penn, 93-82, on the road on Sunday. Freshman Kiera Holland led the way with 30 points, while fellow freshman Camryn McDonald flirted with a triple-double with nine points, 17 rebounds and 14 assists. Erica Cornmire and Katie Herba each had double-doubles, with Cornmire logging 23 points and 10 assists and Herba 20 points, 10 rebounds and eight steals.
At College of St. Joseph on Wednesday, Delhi’s leading scorer Samiaya Salley led the game with 28 points. The sophomore ranks first in all USCAA with 377 total points and third with 23.6 ppg. She is quickly closing in on the 1,000 career-point milestone, totaling 791 points in less than two full seasons. Only Jennifer LePinnet-Clark (2002-04) has eclipsed 1,000 points in two years as a Bronco. McDonald had 25 points and 15 rebounds against the Fighting Saints for her 11th double-double of the year. She ranks sixth in USCAA Division II with 13.1 ppg.
Central Maine remained at number one for the third straight week with 397 points. Johnson and Wales-Charlotte and Maine Augusta were tied for second with 381 points, while Warren Wilson was slotted fourth and Villa Maria fifth.
SUNY Delhi’s next contest sees them welcome NHTI to Floyd L. Maines Arena on Saturday,
January 13 at 11 a.m. The Lynx were ranked 11th in this week’s poll.
Here is a full glimpse of SUNY Delhi women's basketball's upcoming schedule:
- Saturday, 1.13, NHTI, 11 a.m.
- Wednesday, 1.17, @ Fisher*, 5 p.m.
- Friday, 1.19, @ Maine Fort Kent*, 11 a.m.
- Sunday, 1.21, ALFRED STATE, 2 p.m.
- Tuesday, 1.23, @ SUNY Canton, 5 p.m.
- Sunday, 1.28, @ Morrisville State, 4 p.m.
- Tuesday, 1.30, DAVIS, 5 p.m.
- Saturday, 2.3, SUNY CANTON, 2 p.m.
- Sunday, 2.4, VAUGHN, 1 p.m.
- Saturday, 2.10, @ Alfred State, 2 p.m.
- Sunday, 2.11, @ Villa Maria*, 2 p.m.
- Thursday, 2.15, @ Cazenovia, 7 p.m.
- Saturday, 2.17, CENTRAL PENN, 2 p.m.
- Saturday, 2.24, NIAC Tournament @ College of St. Joseph, TBA