Within the context of a positive learning environment, the faculty believes that performance progresses in a dynamic and sequential manner. The faculty’s role is to provide guidance and direction through the learning experience to ensure safe, competent care of clients.
The nursing faculty at SUNY Delhi recognizes that learning is a continuum which progresses from simple to complex. We acknowledge that students require opportunities to perform skills that have already been learned and practiced in the lab. The clinical instructors will provide assistance in developing client/patient care procedures. However, it is essential that the student be well prepared when performing patient care. There is a safe baseline of performance which all students must demonstrate at all times. The clients must receive a safe standard of care.
- If the student requires remediation, the Instructor may elect to coordinate the remediation in the clinical setting or a referral will be made to the Learning Lab. If a lab referral is required, the clinical instructor will complete a Laboratory Referral Form and send to the IST for a practice session. Remediation necessary to assist in clinical performance will be clearly identified in the referral and discussed with the student.
- The student will be responsible to schedule an appointment with the IST and complete the specified practice session by the identified date.
- The IST will complete the referral form. The clinical instructor will be notified by the IST that the referral is completed and the signed form will be placed in the clinical coordinator’s mail file. The student will be evaluated by the clinical instructor upon return to the clinical setting.
- If a lab referral is not completed by the student within the specified time, the student will not be able to return to clinical until the practices session is completed.
- A Clinical Awareness Form may be initiated by the clinical coordinator or the clinical instructor when a student is not achieving satisfactory competency in the clinical component and therefore is unlikely to be successful without completion of a remedial plan. The remedial plan is specified on the form.
HS Average: 80
Algebra Regents: 80
Biology Regents: 80
English Regents: 80
Transfer GPA: 3.0
Test of Essential Academic
Skills V (TEAS)
SUNY Curriculum Code: 0622