The following technical standards describe the non-academic qualifications required for entrance to, continuation in, and graduation with a Welding Certificate or an Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree or an Associate in Occupational Studies (A.O.S.) degree in Welding Technology from SUNY College of Technology at Delhi. Candidates must be able to meet these minimum standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, for successful completion of certificate/degree requirements.
General: Apply standard welding principles and practices to perform practical work assignments.
• Understand/interpret information from textbooks, handouts, diagrams, charts, and tables.
• Understand welding codes and qualifications.
• Recognize welding terminology and symbols.
• Interpret blueprints and sketches.
• Visualize three-dimensional objects.
• Distinguish shapes, forms, and patterns.
• Take accurate measurements and do conversions.
• Calculate slopes, circumferences, and decimal equivalents.
• Estimate materials and costs.
• Identify names and uses of tools and machines.
• Describe operations of various welding machines.
• Explain characteristics and uses of different types of metals
• Describe standard welding methods and practices.
• Follow safety procedures.
• Explain the proper care of equipment.
• Formulate fabrication plans.
• Perform procedures according to proper specifications.
• Conduct tests of welding work.
• Distinguish indicators of poor vs. quality construction.
General: Use sensory cues to maintain standards of quality welding.
• Take precise measurements to 1/16 of an inch.
• Recognize and compare shapes and forms of objects.
• Detect fabrication problems.
• Survey and select appropriate materials, tools and equipment for welding work.
General: Possess physical strength, flexibility, and dexterity to safely perform welding techniques.
• Operate necessary tools, equipment, and machinery.
• Remove and replace metal pieces.
• Position and maneuver in confined spaces.
• Work at varying heights.
• Lift and transport equipment and materials as necessary.
General: Communicate to gather and convey information.
• Speak, write, and understand English.
* Obtain necessary information from oral and written sources.
• Express information coherently.
General: Behave appropriately and safely in a cooperative learning environment.
• Fulfill personal and shared responsibilities.
• Work cooperatively with partners and groups.
• Exercise good judgment.
• Follow safety procedures.
General: Function safely in a welding shop environment.
Work for prolonged periods exposed to:
• Extreme noise
• Extreme heat
• Sharp tools and materials
• Electrical equipment
• Chemicals and toxins
• Dust and fumes
• Machinery with moving parts
• Slippery or uneven surfaces
• Variations in lighting
Call us Toll-free:
Or write to us at:
454 Delhi Drive
Delhi, NY 13753