Instructions for May 2012 Commencement Candidates
Time: 1 PM Saturday, May 19, 2012
Location: The Floyd L. Maines Arena (the gym), The Clark Field House
*Please read through these instructions. If you have a question or concern, contact Commencement Committee Chair Joan Erickson at 419 Evenden Tower, at 746 4473 or by e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cap and Gown
- If you are participating in the Commencement Ceremony, you must purchase a cap and gown from the Campus Store. The caps and gowns are available up to the day of commencement, but we encourage you not to wait until the last minute. Please contact the Campus Store at (607) 746-4760 regarding gown sizes/prices or visit the store in person.
- You will be given a blank name card when you pick up your cap and gown. Fill out this card with your name, address, and e-mail address and bring it to the commencement. Please add the phonetic pronunciation if necessary, so the Reader of the ceremony can pronounce your name correctly. DO NOT LOSE THIS CARD!
- You must purchase the cap and gown in order to receive four (4) guest tickets. Additional tickets are not available due to limited seating in the gym.
- Ushers will start seating guests promptly at 12:00 Noon. Guests without tickets will not be admitted to the gym until after the processional and only if there are seats available.
- Please remind your guests that they need to arrive with tickets in hand in order to be seated.
Processional(Student Line-up) on the day of Commencement
- There is NO rehearsal. Processional assembly will begin at 12:15 pm in the Clark Field House. Please be prompt.
- Assemble in full regalia. The tassel is worn on the right side of the cap until President Vancko confers the degrees.
- Honor students should be at the front of each division's line of candidates.
- The processional will be two-by-two and will enter the gym from the entrance on the right-hand side.
- The processional will begin promptly at 1:00 pm.
- The entire processional party will enter the gym in the following order: the Grand Marshal, the graduates (you), faculty and staff, and then members of the administration and honored guests.
Instructions for the Ceremony
- You will be given a name card. Please add phonetic pronunciation, if necessary. Do not lose this card!
- At the proper time during the ceremony, you will be given instructions for the stage asking your Division to come to the stage and receive recognition.
- Your Order of March Marshal will direct you to the stairs at the side of the stage.
- Another staff member will assist you to the stage.
- You will give your name card to the Reader who will then read your name.
- Wait until your name has been read before continuing -- there is no need to run.
- Cross the stage, at the center shake hands with President Vancko and accept a diploma folder from her.
- Exit the stage using the opposite stairs, pause briefly to have another picture taken, then return to your seat and be seated.
- Candidates and guests are to remain standing after the benediction. Male candidates should remove their caps during the National Anthem.
- The recessional party will be led out of the gym by the Grand Marshal. The dignitaries on the stage leave first, followed by the faculty and staff, and then the graduates.
- Please do not linger by the doors at the conclusion of the ceremony. People behind you also need to exit the building.
- Invite your guests to meet you at the division reception. All division receptions will be held in the Farrell Center.
- Please take a few moments to say goodbye to friends and faculty and to introduce your guests to these people.
Diplomas and Certificates
- Diplomas and certificates will be mailed following certification by the Scholastic Standing Committee and the faculty. Your diploma will be sent in July. If you have not received your diploma by the end of August, you may contact the Registrar's Office at (607) 746 4560.
- Your guests will be able to park their cars in the designated student, faculty or staff parking lots. Guests requiring accommodated seating may be dropped off at the Clark Field House. Cars must be parked in designated lots.
- Shuttle bus service will be provided from the parking lots to the Clark Field House before the ceremony.
- The Bronco bus will be available after the ceremony for accessible courtesy transport to Farrell Center for the receptions.