Residential Construction Tool List
Specific tools are required for the Carpentry and Building Trades associate's degrees, and for those enrolled in the one year of Carpentry as a Certificate Program.
The cost of these tools will range from $1,000 to $1,500 depending upon tool quality. Purchase only professional quality tools. Students can purchase tools at places such as Sears, Home Depot, and Lowe's, then transport the tools to campus.
Additional Tool Lists
- Woodworking & Cabinetmaking
- CARP 290 Mechanical Systems
- CARP 220 Residential Remodeling Laboratory
- MASN 160 Finish Masonry Laboratory
- WDWK 140 Woodcarving
Work boots and safety glasses are required in all lab situations. Students will not participate in labs without them. If you wear prescription glasses, prescription safety glasses will be required.
Your entire class will own tools similar or identical to yours. To decrease the possibility of mistaken identity, each tool should be clearly and permanently marked with your name and/or some form of identification number before you arrive to start classes.
- Carpenter's tool bag or tool carrier for tools. Note: This tool carrier does not have
to hold every tool at the same time. It should be something that can be carried to
the job site in one hand. Some stores sell fabric type carriers or 5 gallon bucket
carriers, which will work. The tools that are not being used on a given day can be
put in a cardboard box and left in the dorm room or in the trunk of your car.
Note: Dormitory regulations require that if "knife like" tools are kept in the dorm room, they must be in a locked container. If the tool bag or carrier above is lockable, that will be sufficient. Otherwise, a smaller metal toolbox that can be locked, will be required in order to hold the carpentry knives and saw blades.
- Carpenter's tool bag or tool carrier for tools.
- Safety glasses
- Hard hat Hearing protection device (foam plugs or head set)
- Disposable dust masks or one reusable dust mask
- Pair work boots, hard sole, leather uppers
- Construction calculator (Master Pro Model 4065 Required)
- 22 ounce or 20-ounce claw hammer
- Nail apron or tool belt
- Hammer holster
- Rafter framing square (Stamped numbers and MUST HAVE RAFTER TABLE)
- Pocket or belt 25' tape measure, 1" wide
- 6" Combination square
- Utility knife with extra blades
- Speed square
- Chalk box and chalk (50' or 100')
- 10" nail puller (cats claw)
- Pair of stair gauges for steel square
- 100' nylon mason line
- Drill; cordless drill, 12V minimum or 120V variable speed reversible
- Set spade bits ¼" - 1" (¼" intervals)
- High speed steel drill bit set 1/16" to 1/4" in 1/16" increments
- Wood chisel set, 4 pieces: ¼", ½", ¾", and 1"
- Pair of pliers
- 6-1 screwdriver
- Compass scriber
- Pair of quick grip clamps
- Straight-cut snips, 10-12" (for cutting sheet metal)
- Sur-Form planer (palm held)
- 16 ounce claw hammer
- 1/16" nail set, 1/8" nail set
- Compass scriber
- Sliding tee bevel
- 6" drywall saw