College Catalog Fall 2016 - Spring 2017
Technical Standards for Architecture Technology Programs
The technical standards listed below are intended to inform students of the skills, abilities, and behavioral expectations required in this program. These technical standards reflect performance abilities and characteristics that are necessary to successfully complete the requirements of this program at SUNY Delhi. These standards are not conditions of admission to the program, but persons interested in applying for admission to the program should review this list to develop a better understanding of the skills, abilities, and behavioral expectations necessary to successfully complete the program. The College complies with the requirements and spirit of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990; therefore, the college will endeavor to make reasonable accommodations for participants with disabilities who are otherwise qualified.
General: Solve complex architectural design problems through analysis of problem elements and synthesis of problem elements into coherent design solutions.
- Read and understand assignment requirements.
- Frame and ask questions relevant to the solution of assignments.
- Develop ability to self criticize.
- Research topics, both from previous instruction and outside or additional sources, to support design solutions.
Apply basic math, trigonometry, and algebra in solution of technical problems.
- Distinguish important from unimportant information in problem solving.
- Explore multiple solutions to design problems.
General: Use sensory cues to do create accurate drawings and models.
- Develop designs from rough sketches through to effective presentation drawings and models.
- Judge visual and spatial relationships.
- Distinguish basic colors.
General: Possess mobility and dexterity to complete computer and hand drawings, and to build scale models. Possess mobility, strength, and dexterity to use hand tools in building construction labs.
- Produce lines, shapes, and figures on paper and boards, using computer and hand methods.
- Measure, cut, and assemble scale models from cardboard and other light materials, using hand tools.
- Lift, saw, nail, hammer, and bolt light-wood or metal construction components in construction lab courses.
General: Communicate to gather and convey information and concepts.
- Speak, write, and understand English.
- Obtain necessary information from oral and written sources.
- Present design ideas orally and graphically.
General: Behave appropriately in both self-directed and shared-learning environments.
- Work independently with minimal supervision.
- Work cooperatively with partners and groups.
- Follow through with responsibilities in a timely manner.
- Work diligently and put in necessary time to complete tasks.
- Persist on difficult tasks.
- Exercise good judgment.
General: Function safely in construction labs and design studios.
Work for prolonged periods amidst:
- Artificial lighting