The Golf Course Operations program emphasizes the management of golf course facilities. Students are required to have knowledge of the game of golf and, also, to intern during the summer between the first and second years at a program-approved golf course. Students also gain extensive experience on the College’s 18-hole golf course.
- High School Average: 75
or GED: 2500
- Algebra Regents: 73
- Biology Regents: 73
- Assistant Golf Course Superintendent
- Golf Course Irrigation Technician
- Golf Course Pest management/Spray Technician
- Turf/Golf Industry Company Salesman
- Golf Course Construction/Renovation Foreman
Currently, SUNY Delhi graduates have nearly 100% placement rate and are working at some of the country’s most prestigious properties around the world.
What do alumni say?
- Eric Newell, Assistant Superintendent, Bethpage State Park, Bethpage, NY: "I loved all the personal time that I got with the instructors and all of the hands-on training. Delhi is not a cookie-cutter school looking for numbers. You can tell that they really care for you."
- Aaron Crouse, Assistant Superintendent, The Woodmere Club, Woodmere, NY: "Attending Delhi provided me with an in-depth hands-on experience in all facets of my profession. I will always credit Delhi for my success and for triggering a prideful attitude towards my work."
- James Hayes, First Assistant Superintendent, Oak Hill Country Club, Rochester, NY: "If it were not for the faculty and staff of the turf program at SUNY Delhi, I would not be where I am today. Ultimately, they supplied me with a stable platform from which my career could be launched."
What will I study?
This practical education includes applying what is learned in the classroom to managing our 18-hole college golf course. Day-to-day operations include managing turfgrasses, irrigation, pest management and equipment maintenance. Students work at paid summer internships around the country and graduates work at some of the most prestigious golf courses across the country. The scheduling of classes within the Golf Course Operations program is designed so that those students interested in pursuing the Bachelors degree in Golf Course Management can do so without loss of credit or time.
Why Golf Course Operations
at SUNY Delhi?
- Hands-on experience in real-life environments with state-of-the art equipment
- Excellent facilities such as the Turf Education Center, College Golf Course at Delhi, greenhouses, landscape design studio, computer labs with the latest software, display gardens with a wide variety of plant life, 280 acre natural arboretum, and a tree and shrub nursery
- Paid internships that are credit-bearing degree requirements are completed during the summer at sites across the country such as golf courses, athletics field complexes, landscaping and irrigation companies. Most internships also provide housing, meals, and uniforms. The internship component is a priceless way to gain on-the-job experience and many times leads directly into employment.
- Numerous scholarships are awarded to Delhi turf students each year.
- Nearly 100% job placement with a seamless transition to employment
- Turf Club - A Student Chapter of the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America. Serves as official organization for students interested in golf course management and provides them with information about career directions.
- Horticulture Club - Promotes the development and advancement of Landscape Contracting and Turf Management fields