Do you have an artistic eye for outdoor spaces? Do you enjoy working with trees, shrubs and flowers? This program combines practical and theoretical experience in the design and installation of residential and commercial landscapes. Graduates work as landscape technicians at arboretums, botanical gardens and nurseries, managers of industrial parks, supervisors of landscape crews, estate managers, and irrigation contractors. Students also have the unique opportunity to enroll in the Landscape Architecture track, which prepares them for transfer to upper division universities.
- High School Average: 75
or GED: 2500
- Algebra Regents: 73
- Biology Regents: 73
- Technician/Crew Supervisor/Manager
- Wholesale or Retail Sales
- Garden Designer
- Landscape Designer/Landscape Design Manager
- Landscape Architecture
- Landscape Contractor
- Landscape Management
and Lawn Care
- Salesperson or Marketing Specialist
- Production Scheduler
- Customer Service
- Business owner
- Transfer to pursue advanced related degree
Current employment trends show a rise in landscape industry job growth.
What do alumni say?
- AJ Davis ('10)
Owner, Davis Outdoor Jobs
Binghamton, New York
“Getting a degree at SUNY Delhi has helped my business greatly! To have a solid base on landscape information is a must. My customers realized I have a Landscape Design & Management Degree. In the last year we have more than double in size in one year from graduating from SUNY Delhi!”
Read the news story on AJ >
- Melissa Pienaar ('06)
CLT & MD Pesticide License
Chapel Valley Landscape
“SUNY Delhi was the right choice for me! It had a great home like feel to the campus and everyone was so friendly. Delhi helped prepare me for my current career as a Horticulturist by offering hands on classes. The classes summed up what the industry has to offer and helped prepare me for my future. Delhi was the right step to achieve my goals!”
What will I study?
Students will learn through hands-on experience the science and art of designing outdoor environments. Program class information and experiences focus on the proper selection of materials to be sustainable and ecologically sensitive while complementing the functional needs of the client. Students are involved in projects with real-life experiences, from meeting with clients, researching and analyzing the property, developing designs, providing cost estimates, ordering plants and materials, scheduling the job, installing the design to maintaining the site.
Why Landscape Design & Management at SUNY Delhi?
- Hands-on experience in real-life environments with state-of-the art equipment
- Excellent facilities such as the landscape design studio, computer labs with the latest software, display gardens with a wide variety of plant life, 280 acre natural arboretum, tree and shrub nursery, greenhouses, the Turf Education Center and the College Golf Course at Delhi.
- Paid internships that are credit-bearing degree requirements are completed during the summer at sites across the country. The internship component is a priceless way to gain on-the-job experience and many times leads directly into employment.
- Transfer opportunities exist for students who are interested in pursuing advanced degrees in Landscape Architecture, Landscape Management and other related programs. An official transfer agreement between SUNY Delhi and the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry provides students a smooth transition into their Landscape Architecture program.
- Numerous scholarships are awarded to Delhi students each year.
- Nearly 100% job placement with a seamless transition to employment.
- Turf Club - A Student Chapter of the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America. Serves as an organization for students interested in golf course and sport and athletic field management. The club provides students with experiences and networking directed towards their career development.
- Horticulture Club – A Student Chapter of the Professional Landcare Network (PLANET). The club promotes the development and advancement of students through industry contacts, field trips and additional career focused educational experiences.
|Connect with a
Associate Professor &
Registered Landscape Architect