For a business-minded person who loves the game of golf, a career as a golf professional is the perfect fit. And with SUNY Delhi’s Business and Professional Golf Management (PGM) program, the only PGM option in the Northeast, your path to that career is almost assured. Seventy-five percent of the program’s grads are employed in the industry today and 80 percent of that group have either secured PGA membership or are working toward that goal.
Most of our PGM graduates go to work as assistant pros or teaching pros, but you could also pursue different options within the industry--sales for a golf equipment manufacturer, starting your own teaching or equipment repair business or coaching high school or college level golf.
Delhi’s program also gives you a solid business foundation with courses that develop your skills in budgeting, marketing, financial accounting and human resource management. You’ll also take golf-specific courses that range from managing a golf facility to running a tournament to teaching. You’ll have plenty of opportunities to improve your game, thanks to the college’s outstanding facilities that include an 18-hole course, expansive practice areas, swing analysis lab and pro shop. And you’ll reinforce your education with internships at four different golf facilities. If you’re like many of our students, your final internship may lead to your first post-college job.
- HS Average: 80
or GED: 2500
- Algebra Regents: 75
- Science Regents: 75
- 18 or less handicap verified in writing by the PGA golf professional at home course, a letter of recommendation and competitive scoring history high school coach, or an official USGA handicap card
- Letter of Recommendation
- SAT/ACT scores are not required, but an SAT score of 950 or better or an ACT score of 19 or better will be used as an indicator of success
- On-campus interview is strongly recommended
Applicants who do not qualify for admission to the program may be considered for admission to the Individual Studies program.
- GPA: 2.3
- Transfer credit for grades of C or better
- Letter of Recommendation from PGA professional
- On-campus interview is mandatory
- 10 or less handicap certified by a PGA professional or college coach
- Golf Club Professional
- Golf Teaching Professional
- Golf Retail Manager
- Golf Equipment Specialist
- College Golf Coach
- Golf Sales Representative
- Golf Rules Official
- Tournament Director
- Golf Facility General Manager
- Golf Association Manager
Currently, SUNY Delhi graduates have nearly 100% placement rate and are working at some of the country’s most prestigious properties around the world. Learn more >
What special projects are students involved with?
- Conduct junior golf camps at the campus golf course
- Assist with the Golf In Schools Program of Delaware County
- Provide golf instruction to the public in the swing analysis lab
- Many hands-on activities are included in specific courses, providing practical, experiential learning opportunities
The job placement rate for graduates who remain in the golf industry is 100%. Graduates are working in every region of New York State at prestigious facilities like Monroe GC (Rochester), Onondaga CC (Syracuse), Binghamton CC, and Wheatley Hills (LI). Graduates are also working throughout the country at prestigious facilities such as Congressional CC (MD), The Broadmoor (CO), Grand Cypress (FL), and Rich Harvest Farms (IL). Some of our recent grads have even been awarded prestigious honors:
- Jim Ironside (2009) – Central New York Assistant Golf Professional of the Year
- Matt Jaynes (2006) – Central New York Assistant Player of the Year
Read more about what alumni have to say about their experiences at SUNY Delhi >
What will I study?
The business-based program offers a well-integrated curriculum that includes golf-specific courses such as; golf club design and repair, rules of golf, tournament operations, three levels of teaching golf, and golf shop operations. The program also requires four different internships at approved national or international internship sites. Learn more about internships >
The program also incorporates liberal arts, general business, turf management, and hospitality management courses, making it a well-rounded, marketable degree.
Why PGM at Delhi?
- Only program in the Northeast United States, approved by the State Education Department
- Hands-on learning environment with real-world experiences
- Award-winning faculty made up of PGA members with over 60 years of combined experience Meet the faculty >
- Beautifully maintained 18-hole golf course – owned and operated by the Delhi College Foundation, the entire facility serves as an academic laboratory for staff and students of the PGM program as well as all our golf, turf and landscape related programs; it is also a community resource open to the public
- 25-Station Driving Range – ideal for students to work on their game, instructional skills or to just warm up before a round
- 6,000 sq. ft. Practice Green – a long, undulating green that allows students to practice all types of putts
- Practice Bunker & Chipping Area - great short game practice area including a bunker, fringe-height, fairway-height and rough-height areas from which to practice and teach
- Model Pro Shop managed by qualified PGA Professional – serves as an educational resource for PGM students
- 34,000 sq. ft. Indoor Practice Facility - for off season use; helps students maintain playing ability and to enhance their instructional skills; ball flight can be observed up to 75 yards
- State-of-the-art Fitness Center – PGM students can enhance their playing ability utilizing golf-specific exercises, especially during the winter months
- Golf Club Design & Repair Lab – state-of-the-art facility where students can hone their club repair skills
- Swing Analysis Lab – indoor practice and technology facility where students can work on their game year-round, and enhance their teaching skills through the use of state-of-the-art technology