March 8th, 2010
Senators Present: D. Brower, J. Burgess, D. Dougherty, C. Elston, T. Hamblin, G. Miller (for C. Nelson), K. Ogborn, P. Pardoe, T. Philion, T. Rathbone, A. Rhodes, S. Shoemaker, J. Tessier, M. Wake, L. Weinberg
Meeting called to order at 4:18 p.m. by Presider Julee Miller
Minutes for 2.22.10 approved—motion by T. Philion, seconded by A. Rhodes; abstention—C. Elston
• Change to the bylaws in regards to Innovative Academic Initiatives Committee and Student Life Committee
• Discussion—Are there other committees that are inactive? Why?
o Trying to clean up committee membership and keep them as active as possible
o These two committees are not charged to the Senate by the President
IAIC was brought forward by former Provost Callas
Student Life Committee—uncertain of its history
T. Philion—which are standing committees and which are ad hoc?
T. Hamblin—we should take baby steps and see how it goes
J. Miller—inactive status should be reviewed on an annual basis
P. Pardoe—leave opened ended; investigate to see why they are inactive and is there a need for them?
T. Hamblin—will inactivating these committees be beneficial or would it be more to try and get them to have active memberships to help with oversight in these areas
Vote on verbage at next meeting and then look at these committees to see what should happen with them
Motion to table bylaw change; approved
• Accountability—there is no order to the accountability for standing committees
o A timeline for reporting is needed
o Motion to create a taskforce for a committee accountability timeline for the committees to report back to the Senate; approved.
C. Elston and T. Rathbone will work on this task
• Two divisions need to elect Senate representation
• Open call for nominations and elections will be sent out through e-mail and Delhi Today
• An earlier date for nominations has been established
• There is a need to be more public about who receives the scholarship
• TAG meeting with the President on March 15th at 4 pm
• Survey on Common Hour will be going out to the campus; proposal will need to be drafted for the President (T. Hamblin and J. Tessier volunteered)
Meeting Adjourned at 5:12 pm
Next meeting on March 22, 2010
Jared Yando, Presider