Delhi College Senate
March 26, 2012
Meeting called to order by J. Miller, Presider at 4:17 pm
Senators present: J. Backus-Foster, A. Burger, S. Carlson, M. DeFreece (proxy held by A. Thompson), D. Dougherty, L. Goodwin-Burwood, T. Hamblin, C. Levitt, K. MacLeod, A. Mitchell, S. Poe, S. Shoemaker, D. Sivers, A. Smith, D. Stein, S. Swayze, A. Thompson, C. Vesterfelt, M. Wake, and J. Yando
Senators Absent: S. Babcock, J. Burgess, E. Hodges, M. McKenna, J. Morgan, K. Ogborn, and A. Sohns
Guest: B. Jones
- Summaries of events handed out to Senators—discussed ways that we can help to get the word out and participate
- Centennial website is up and running
- Facebook will be the in reminisce mode this fall for everyone to share their memories
- Engagement and fundraising is up
- Draft calendar—there is an event every month from May 2012 to May 2013
- Video contest beginning in September with prizes; three categories—student, faculty and alumni
- Discussion on how to integrate 100 year celebration into the curriculum; possible June workshops
Approve minutes from 03.12.2012 –Motion to approve: M. Wake; seconded: K. MacLeod; abstentions—J. Backus-Foster and S. Swayze
- If Campus Alliance Network (“shared services”) continue, the Senate wants to be part of the conversation
- Philosophically agree with Campus Alliance Network
- How will this impact the curriculum?
- Shared calendar?
- Will students be able to take classes from Delhi and Cobleskill
- Precedent set with SUCO/Delhi for bachelors programs
- UUP concerns—availability to communicate with someone at Delhi who is half-time
- Unevenness of personnel vs. the duties needed
- Would it be possible to teach half time at each college? It may be an opportunity
- Trickle-down effect: how is curriculum, instruction and student services affected?
- T. Hamblin will work on the resolution
- Action plan on negative impacts; antidotal information is needed
- Draft of consensus shows that there is no consensus because of everyone’s needs
- Administration picks based on what is important to the campus
- Have your functional areas look at the plan; what is missing? Feedback?
- Forward responses and ideas to Presider
Committee Chair Term Limits
- Should committee chairs have term limits?
- Can be good like Budget and Planning; helps to create more leaders on campus; open leadership opportunities
- Is there a protocol? Bylaws change and notify committees
- Constantly refreshes leadership; new leaders equals new ideas; create value of committee work
- Should provide a Senate orientation during June workshops
- Take back to functional area and explain what the Senate does and its function; benefits of membership
- Add explanation of committee to committee membership page; T. Hamblin to discuss with B. Kaplan; can cut and paste Senate committees from our web page
- Information has been distributed through “Delhi Today”
- Call for nominations; encourage your colleagues to join the Senate
- All E-board seats are up for re-election
- Vacancies: Presider and Associate Presider
- UFS is interested in working with a member interested in taking over the position in a year; current UFS is willing to mentor; in the need for a UFS alternate—UFS meets 3 times a year; a lot of work is done on the committee level; represents the SUNY Delhi Senate
- Secretary’s position is available if another member is interested; current secretary willing to be nominated
- Faculty annual reports are not getting back to faculty signed by Dean and Provost
Staff Senate Committee for Term and Permanent Appointment – postponed until after Faculty process is finalized.
Continuing and Term Appointment committee concerns (online submission, evaluation, others as verbally presented)
- Human Resources is working on online submission process with Promotion committee, and investigating options of various available software platforms.
- Other concerns are in information-gathering phase. Concerns and suggestions should be submitted in written form to the Presider, to alleviate any possibility of misinterpretation. Very detailed submission was received by the online Nursing Faculty.
- Broad-based Campus-wide committee is currently forming with Provost Nader’s assistance in assessment of off-site programs.
- Nominees needed for each division; deadline is April 15th
Meeting adjourned at 5:33 pm
Next meeting April 23, 2012