Delhi College Senate
May 9, 2011
Quorum established at 4:12 pm by Presider Julee Miller
Senators Present: S. Babcock, A. Ball, J. Burgess, S. Carlson, M. DeFreece, D. Dougherty, L. Goodwin Burwood, T. Hamblin, E. Hodges, C. Levitt (excused), K. MacLeod, A. Mitchell, J. Morgan, K. Ogborn, S. Poe (excused), S. Shoemaker, D. Sivers, D. Stein, J. Tessier, A. Thompson, M. Wake, K. Zuber
Senators Absent: J. Backus-Foster, M. McKenna, A. Sohns, S. Swayze
Guest: C. Vancko
- Print Shop is closing; this is 5-6 years in the making
- Administration has made a concerted effort to reduce print media--decreased postage from $125,000 per year to $50,000 last year
- moving to some outsourcing; some in house printing needs will be done as necessary
- first budget cut that impacts faculty and staff
- moving to a more cost effective model; external audit assessment of printing--hopeful fo limited staff manned printing, adding more document centers
- will reduce costs
- Discussion: Senate: What is the cost of printing in the print shop?; C. Vancko: more than 3 cents per copy. Senate: Will resources be reallocated to online support?; C. Vancko: not yet discussed, still under consideration. Senate: Will there be a push to online testing?; C. Vancko: not a way we are going; it is cheaper to copy than to print, no intent to go paperless on testing. Senate: Suggestion--What about using a pay as you go system?; C. Vancko: change may be difficult because of retention; there is a change in the laundry fee in the fall--it will be pulled out as a seperate charge. Senate: What about other ways to charge?; C. Vancko: credit used by swipping card. Senate: Will there be a time that the print shop can be used?; C. Vancko: looking into having limited service each week so faculty and staff will need to plan ahead. Senate: What features are needed? Res. Life will need to outsource for some larger runs of copying--what is the cost to have the outside assessment completed?; C. Vancko: not much. Senate: the use of the terms copying and printing have been used synonomously, what is the distinction?; C. Vancko: printing = prof. graphics, copying = document management center (DMC). Senate: Where is paper coming from? Who pays? Where is the service coming from? Senate: Will functional michines be on campus before the Print Shop closes?; C. Vancko: yes.
Minutes for April 25, 2011 meeting--motion to approve (J. Tessier); seconded (M. DeFreece); approved with suggestion to adjust header size for table.
Budget and Planning Committee
- Motion to approve M. DeFreece as the library replacement (J. Morgan); seconded (K. MacLeod); approved. J. Brennan will also represent CIS on this committee.
Meeting on May 23rd -- Employee Appreciation Day -- will meet at 3 pm for an informational meeting for those interested in attending. Senate E-Board to report on shared governance.
Senate Honors Scholarship
- Discussion and resolution to change procedure and potentially the criteria will be discusses at the June meeting. Please forward any thoughts to Associate Presider. Motion to postpone (D. Sivers); seconded (M. Wake); approved.
Print Shop Closing Discussion
- Discussion on the closing of the Print Shop.
Final Exam Schedule
- Postponed until June meeting; motion (K. MacLeod); seconded (T. Hamblin); approved.
- Operations Committee is working on committee membership status.
- Campus-wide discussion on bylaws changes pertaining to service of MC staff.
Next Meeting--June 13, 2011 at 9 am, Alumni Hall.
Meeting adjourned at 5:48 pm