College Senate Minutes June 13, 2007
Meeting called to order by Presider Julee Miller
Quorum established at 1:07 p.m.
Present: Senators: Kathryn DeZur, Steve Dixon, Joan Erickson, Terry Hamblin, Kim MacLeod, Leslie Mokay, Kathleen Ogborn, Lori Osterhoudt, Manly Shults, Mike Spisto, Jeff Stedman, Marsha Stock, Carolyn Tolley, Linda Weinberg
Absent: Sean Babcock, Linnea Burwood, Donna Dougherty, Douglas Dune, Robert Fisher, Ursula Herz, Tom Recinella, John Taylor, Mary Wake
The minutes from the May 14th meeting were approved.
- Minutes from Curriculum Committee were not available for this Senate meeting. When they are received, Julee will email senators for voting on proposals.
- (see below)
ATAC & ADTAC
- Discussion tabled until Fall meeting.
- A motion was made to accept the proposed addition to Academic Policy 1.36 Classroom Expectations: 1.361 The Right to Learn and Student Conduct in the Classroom: “The instructor, whether in the classroom, in conference, and in on-line instruction will encourage free discussion, inquiry and expression.” The motion was seconded and voting showed all in favor.
- Following discussion an additional motion was made that in light of concerns about academic freedom these guidelines be evaluated by the Online Instruction Task Force and brought to the Senate for discussion.
Syllabus “Rollover” vs “Cut and Paste”
- Discussion on the pros and cons of automatically rolling over syllabi semester to semester or having faculty cut and paste syllabi into the template each semester. Take discussion back to divisions for further discussion in the Fall.
- Discuss with divisions how the current policy is working. Bring the positives and negatives back to Senate for discussion.
Budget and Planning Committee
- There are 5 openings on this committee and a call for nominations will go out in the Fall. Senators should encourage people across campus to become involved.
- Marsha and Julee will work on drafting a short description of all committees and responsibilities/time commitments for each for distribution via email to all faculty and professional staff encouraging their involvement.
The meeting was adjourned at 2:04 p.m.
The following curriculum committee approvals were passed on 6/25/2007 by a majority of the senators after an e-mail poll:
- CC06-39 Applied Sciences and Recreation -- Add a new course VETS 247 Exotic Medicine and Nursing
- CC06-40 Appliec Sciences and Recreation -- Add a new course VETM 365 Veterinary Technology Management: Special Research Projects
- CC06-41 Business and Hospitality -- Add a new course CITA 290/390 Independent Study
Jared Yando, Presider