November 27, 2006 College Senate Minutes
College of Technology
State University of New York
November 27, 2006
Meeting called to order by Presider Julee Miller
Quorum established at 4:20 p.m.
Present: Ex Officio: President Candace Vancko
Senators: Linnea Burwood, Kathryn DeZur, Steve Dixon, Donna Dougherty, Robert Fisher, Terry Hamblin, Ursula Herz, Kim MacLeod, Kathleen Ogborn, Lori Osterhoudt, Tom Recinella, Manly Shults, Jeff Stedman, Marsha Stock, John Taylor, Mary Wake, Linda Weinberg
Absent: Sean Babcock, Douglas Dune, Joan Erickson, Leslie Mokay, Mike Spisto, Carolyn Tolley
The minutes from the November 13, 2006 meeting were approved.
- “The SUNY 2007/2008 Budget Request” from the Chancellor was passed around for review. File will be sent to Marsha Stock for distribution to senators.
- Last year the Chancellor had a High Needs Initiative and we put in a request for funding for a BS in Nursing and for a BT in IT at Schenectady which was funded; we were encouraged to resubmit the Nursing proposal and we are hopeful some funding will come to Delhi for that. The Chancellor has put together a very aggressive capital request. We requested funding to renovate Thurston Hall under an economic development initiative, and we believe that the Farrell Hall renovation funding is in their highest priority category.
- BS in Nursing On-Line visit by State Ed will be next week. BBA in Business and Technology Management external review visit has been rescheduled.
- Recently attended many alumni receptions statewide (Monroe, NYC, Rochester, Ithaca). Well attended and met many good people.
- Position searches to begin: Faculty position for the BT in the Architecture & Building Construction advisement tract; new position in Liberal Arts to teach a 300 level social science course ; new position at Schenectady for the BT in IT; BS in Nursing On-Line if approved will create new position.
- Question about email: we are still working on that. Looking at possible Perkins funding for new system.
- After discussion it was decided to hold the December Senate meeting as scheduled on December 11th at 4:15, location TBA. Email Julee if you have a conflict. [NOTE: Meeting will be held in 131 Bush Hall.]
Chancellor’s Awards for Student Excellence
- Julee reminded Senators to discuss the Chancellor’s Awards for Student Excellence with their departments. The deadline for nominations is Monday, December 04, 2006.
Academic Integrity Task Force Recommendation
Bob Fisher presented the Integrity Task Force Report Part I: Procedure for Reporting and Adjudicating Academic Integrity Violations.
- Question regarding definition of a violation. A definition piece is currently being developed by Terry Hamblin.
- Question regarding burden of proof? Will be the same as for Judicial hearings. Will need a clearly written incident report. The Early Warning form may be used for this.
- Discussion on ways to communicate procedure to students. Possibly include in Student Code of Conduct in the Student Planner; discuss in Freshman Seminar classes; discuss at first class meeting with syllabus.
- Question on how faculty, especially adjuncts, will receive this procedure. Should be included in Adjunct Handbook. Should be discussed at department meetings.
- Bob Fisher will correct spelling and errors and email corrected copy to Julee to be attached to the minutes.
Marsha Stock made a motion in support of the Procedures for Reporting and Adjudicating Academic Integrity Violations as developed by the Integrity Task Force. The motion was seconded and voting showed all in favor.
Julee announced a Town/Gown Conference at SUNY Downstate Medical Center’s Alumni Auditorium tomorrow afternoon focusing on the economic, social, and cultural ties of SUNY campuses and the communities they serve.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:07 p.m.