DELHI COLLEGE SENATE MEETING MINUTES
February 12, 2007
Meeting called to order by Presider Julee Miller
Quorum established at 4:17 p.m.
Present: Ex Officio: President Candace Vancko
Senators: Linnea Burwood, Kathryn DeZur, Steve Dixon, Donna Dougherty, Douglas Dune, Joan Erickson, Terry Hamblin, Ursula Herz, Kim MacLeod, Leslie Mokay, Kathleen Ogborn, Lori Osterhoudt, Tom Recinella, Manly Shults, Marsha Stock, John Taylor, Mary Wake, Linda Weinberg
Absent: Sean Babcock, Robert Fisher, Mike Spisto, Jeff Stedman, Carolyn Tolley
Guests: Alan Franks, Pat Heath, Pam Peters, Ken Pyle, Bill Raynor
- Received notification that our Perkins budget is being cut by 15%. Not sure how this cut will impact us. We have requested support for three areas: surgical suite renovation to the Vet Tech lab, new construction of a technology lab for the BT program, and modest support for the baking lab which will be done this summer in Alumni Hall.
- We are requesting assistance with the renovation of Alumni Hall from Senator Bonisec as part of member items as we have in the past. Senator Bonisec was not sure if there would be member items available this year.
- A summary of President Vancko’s response to the Budget and Planning Committee report will be released to the campus soon, after the Committee reports to the Senate today, identifying the Cabinet’s highest priorities for funding support for positions and resource requests.
- Request has been submitted to SUNY for approval for an Associate of Science in Environmental Studies.
- Dennis Callas has been talking with Joan Erickson about the possibility of a four-year honor society. Peter Paluch, advisor to Phi Theta Kappa, has suggested that this might be an umbrella organization where if you are a two year student you would go into Phi Theta Kappa, if you were a four year student in a baccalaureate program you would be eligible for this other honor society.
- On March 1st the external review panel will be visiting regarding the BBA in Business and Technology Management proposal at SCCC.
- Friday was census date for SUNY. Our goal for full time students was1943, we have 1942. Our part time, non-high school goal was 135, we have 178. Most of part time growth appears to be at SCCC, or for on-line courses.
- Pam Peters, Kim MacLeod, and Hans Herrmann have been asked to serve on a committee to recommend out door art for the campus.
Budget and Planning Committee Update
Pam Peters and Pat Heath presented the Annual Report of the Budget and Planning Committee.
- The committee will be meeting with the Cabinet next month to review and streamline the submission process of unit plans.
- Committee timeline: meet with the Cabinet in March with format out to departments/divisions in April with a deadline of August. Committee will begin review of unit plans during the fall. Final plan to Cabinet in January. Marsha will post Committee’s report on the Senate webpage.
- Senators had questions on the format and content of the report which Pat and Pam responded to.
- Any questions, feel free to contact members of the Committee.
- Senate has representation on this committee through Linnea Burwood.
Intercollegiate Athletic Board Opening
- Senate voting on Mike Branigan’s nomination of Rob Mazzei to this committee showed unanimous approval.
Review and Comment of 2008-2009 College Calendar
- Discussion on differences and similarities to present calendar. Concerns regarding dismissals, graduation list, January Term. Positives with regard to campus construction projects finished before orientation, extra orientation prep time, housing concerns, more planning time.
- Email Julee with comments and concerns and she will forward them to President Vancko.
“SUNY Internship Guidelines”
- Reminder to respond to the “SUNY Internship Guidelines” link by February 16th. Need to respond before this draft becomes mandate.
Ken Pyle Discussion
- Ken Pyle addressed the Senate regarding workload issues. Much discussion and questions regarding the genesis of this issue, differences from one division to another, professional staff issues.
- Many of the questions raised in Ken’s handout are addressed elsewhere such as in the Budget and Planning Report and information available from Human Resources regarding contact hours and payment.
- Concern on how these issues are handled as can be very divisive to our small community.
- Closing discussion as to whether this should first be discussed in the Senate, or should start at the department/division level.
Next Meeting Agenda Items
- Approval of January 22 minutes, ATAC Resolution, and Curriculum Committee
Meeting was adjourned at 6:00 p.m.