SUNY Delhi’s Second Century Plan 2010-2015:
A Great Place to Learn, Work, and Live
SUNY Delhi’s smart growth plan is built on the college’s success in establishing a unique niche in the rapidly changing environment of higher education. Delhi focuses resources on delivering a select range of high quality academic programs from the certificate through the master’s degree level. These programs serve the students’ educational goals and New York State’s workforce needs in both the classroom setting and through delivery systems that overcome barriers of space and time. Smart growth envisions sustained enrollment growth based upon Delhi’s historic success in offering academic excellence, student access and exceptional educational value. Smart growth assures maximum use of campus and SUNY-wide resources by optimizing multiple opportunities to deliver premier programs. Growth consistent with this plan will generate and attract resources capable of meeting the college’s overarching goals for student success.
Aspirational Goals 2010-2015 -- SUNY Delhi will be a leader in:
Engaging Students for Success by:
- retaining and strengthening its status as a college where the student is the most important person;
- offering unparalleled educational access to a socially, culturally, and economically diverse student population;
- delivering academic programs that fully prepare students for transfer and career success;
- delivering academic and co-curricular programs that embrace experiential learning, build a campus community, and prepare students as productive, socially responsible citizens, who can become leaders and decision makers in their chosen fields;
- offering students expanding options for civic engagement and public service, both on and off campus;
- promoting myriad opportunities within classrooms, residence halls, and through campus activities for students to realize their personal, professional, and intellectual potential;
- achieving student graduation and retention rates that will exceed the SUNY average for comparable colleges;
- ensuring that employers of choice will recruit and hire Delhi graduates for their technical expertise, communication skills and ability to adapt to changing workforce needs;
Achieving Academic Excellence by:
- supporting a culture of assessment designed for the continuous improvement of both teaching and learning;
- continuously advancing the quality of instruction by attracting and retaining outstanding faculty and academic staff who effectively impart and apply an expanding range of knowledge and skills;
- developing new and unique degree options based upon current program strengths that meet the needs of New York’s economy;
- recognizing the teaching, advisement, and scholarly accomplishments of the faculty and staff and promoting their continued development;
- meeting or exceeding the standards of external accrediting agencies, both campus-wide and in selected programs;
- increasing the presence of international students on the Delhi campus and expanding opportunities for Delhi students to study and travel abroad;
- identifying and implementing opportunities to build a global perspective into the curriculum, in order to promote an appreciation for the dignity of all people and develop skills to work in a diverse and rapidly changing world.
Sustaining Educational Innovation by:
- delivering programs that overcome geographic barriers and provide students maximum flexibility in pursuing their degrees, through technology and inter-campus collaboration;
- encouraging students to assume a greater role in their academic success by creating an attractive, convenient library and learning center;
- offering a select group of state-of-the-art online programs for working professionals;
- capitalizing on programs of unique strength by delivering a seamless progression of degrees from the certificate through the baccalaureate and graduate level.
Building Strategic Partnerships by:
- assisting with local and state economic development efforts by forging stronger extensive ties with the private and non-profit sectors;
- providing responsive, customized training that meets the needs of local employers;
- encouraging the development and expansion of service learning opportunities;
- seeking effective ways to engage and inform alumni in order to better fulfill SUNY Delhi’s mission.
Promoting Environmental Stewardship by:
- enhancing the physical beauty of the campus and neighboring properties;
- promoting the Catskill Watershed as a resource that can help spur sustainable economic growth;
- improving the college’s role in preserving and protecting the Catskill ecosystem;
- expanding campus and community energy conservation efforts;
- reducing the campus carbon footprint by applying alternative energy options wherever practical;
- sustaining an ambitious program of waste reduction and recycling that serves as a model in higher education;
- identifying academic programs that can be strengthened by drawing on Delhi’s unique location.
Accomplishing Service Excellence and Operational Efficiencies by:
- improving the quality, convenience, and delivery of academic, administrative and support services through a focus on student needs and the use of technology;
- ensuring Delhi’s stature as a student-centered college in which all individuals are respected, valued and encouraged to excel;
- implementing the digital delivery of service in admissions, financial aid, recruitment, advising, career services and registration;
- enhancing campus facilities, resources and technology to better meet the needs of students, faculty and staff.