Delhi Logo
Counseling Resources
for Parents & Families
Is My Loved One in Emotional Distress?

Many college students encounter academic, personal, and social stress during their educational experience. Most students cope successfully with the demands of college life and the interpersonal experiences that go along with it, but for some students these difficulties can become overpowering and unmanageable.

Parents and families are frequently in a position to identify when their loved on is in distress. Additionally, parents and families are often perceived as a first point of contact in obtaining advice and support. Your expression of interest and concern may be critical in helping your loved one reestablish emotional equilibrium.

This information is provided to assist you in helping your loved ones identify they are in emotional distress. Counseling Services staff members are available to offer further consultation.

Signs and Symptoms of Emotional Distress

At one time or another, everyone feels upset. However, when some of the following are present, your loved one is probably in distress:

Any one of the above signs present in someone does not absolutely indicate serious distress. Many disturbances during college are relatively transient. However, you may become alarmed by changes which are extreme or by significant changes that last longer than is typical. If there is doubt about the seriousness of the problem, consult a Counseling Services staff member about evaluating the situation and taking the most appropriate steps.

Typical Concerns Presented by College Students

Consultation is Available to You

If you have concerns and questions about your student, staff members are available to help you:

Making a Referral to the Counseling Service

A referral for counseling can be made when you believe your student's problems go beyond your ability to help. A referral may be made either because of the way problems are interfering with academics or because you have been given information concerning personal behavior which raises concerns apart from academic work.

When you have decided that your daughter or son might benefit from counseling, it is usually best to express your recommendation in a matter-of-fact manner. Make it clear that this represents your best judgment based on your observations, information, and life experience. Be specific regarding the behavior that has raised your concerns and avoid attributing anything negative to the individual's character.

Except in an emergency, the option should be left open for her or him to accept or refuse counseling. If reluctance is expressed for any reason, simply express your acceptance of those feelings so that your relationship with him or her is not jeopardized. Give them room to consider alternatives by suggesting that maybe you can talk about it again after they have had some time to think it over.

If a conclusion is reached that counseling might be useful, there are several possible steps to take, depending on the urgency of the situation and how committed the student is to following through on the referral. You can give him or her information about the Counseling Service and urge them to call for an appointment. Other options are to accompany them yourself or suggest that a trusted friend come along.

In emergency situations involving students who are unwilling or unable to seek help on their own, you may call University Police (607-746-4700) if the urgency of the situation demands it. For any referral, whether the student accepts it or not, follow up with him or her later to show your continuing interest. If problems are brought up related to problems in the residence hall, you can also contact the Residence Hall Director or Office of Residence Life.

What Happens at Counseling Services?

Once the student contacts us an appointment is made for an initial interview. This is usually within a few days from the time of contact, but can often happen the same day, particularly at the beginning of the semester. In an emergency, the student will be seen that day.

Intake forms are completed prior to the student being seen. During the first meeting, a counselor assesses the student's needs and ways in which we may be able to help. Potential options include: a single consultation appointment with perhaps an additional follow-up meeting; ongoing individual counseling; group counseling; workshops; or referral to another support service on campus or in the community. Many students leave the initial appointment feeling able to handle their concerns without further assistance.

Counseling services provided to students are free and confidential. Information is released only with a student's specific written permission. This means that a counselor cannot discuss the student's situation with anyone unless the student provides written permission. Exceptions to confidentiality may occur if there is clear danger to self or others or in the case of court-ordered subpoenas.

Patient Portal






Contact Us
Foreman Hall
(607) 746-4690
(607) 746-4141 (fax)

Hours of Operation
Monday - Thursday:
8:30 am - 6 pm
8:30 am - 4:30 pm

Medical Clinic

Walk In Hours:
Monday through Thursday:
8:30 am to 11 am;
2 pm to 5:30 pm
8:30 am to 11 am; 2 to 4 pm

Nurse Appointment Hours:
Monday through Thursday:
11 am to 2 pm;
11 am to 2 pm

Accident/Injury Report Form
Click here for fillable form

Counseling Appointments
Make an appointment with a counselor by stopping by Foreman Hall or by calling (607) 746-4690. Same-day crisis appointments are available if needed.

Emergencies On-Campus
Contact University Police
(607) 746-4700

Emergencies Off-Campus
Dial 911 or call O'Connor Hospital in Delhi at (607) 746-0300


Last Updated: 2/19/16