What are room rental rates?
You can find the current room rates on the Student Accounts website here.
What is in the room?
- 1 extra-long twin bed per person
- 1 set of dresser drawers per person
- 1 desk and chair per person
- closet for hanging clothes
- blinds on windows
- 1 floor lamp per room
- 1 wastebasket per room
- 1 telephone jack, free local service upon arrival (you must bring your own phone)
- 1 enhanced cable tv hook-up (you may bring a splitter if you want to hook-up more than one tv)
- free wireless internet access
What are the dimensions of my room?
You can find the dimensions of your room and the window sizes here.
What should I bring with me from home?
A list of suggested items will be sent along with your room assignment prior to move in. Some of the basic items include:
- extra-long twin sheets, blankets, pillow
- towels, washcloths, toiletries (soap, shampoo, etc.) and tote to carry them, shower shoes
- liquid laundry soap, clothes hangers
- alarm clock, desk lamp, area rug, mirror, flashlight, umbrella
- notebooks, pens, pencils, calculator, backpack
- computer, printer, surge protector, tv, dvd player, fan
- touch-tone telephone (even if bringing a cell phone)
What is not allowed in the residence halls?
A more complete list is available in the Housing Policy Guide. A few items are:
- candles, incense, halogen lamps, space heaters, extension cords, any unsafe or defective equipment deemed a fire hazard in accordance with the New York State Office of Fire Prevention and Control
- appliances (grills, hotplates, coffee pots, water-coolers, etc.)
- firearms or weapons of any kind, BB guns, airpostols, paintball guns
- pets, other than fish in a 10 gallon or smaller tank
- fireworks, free weights, overstuffed furniture, skateboards
- 2.4 gigahertz cordless telephones (anything above or below 2.4 GHz is fine, but 2.4 will interfere with the wireless network)
Fire Hazard: This colorful lamp has already caused problems on various campuses, with close calls regarding fires and toxic fumes. Please, do not bring this lamp to campus. If Residence Life staff find this lamp in a student room it will be confiscated in accordance with campus Fire Safety Standards as outlined in the Housing Policy Guide, with possible judicial action to follow.
Can I have a refrigerator or microwave?
The following are allowed in student rooms:
- One microwave per room, 1.1 cubic feet or less, 1100 watts or less.
- One refrigerator per room, 4.5 cubic feet or less, 1.5 amp electrical draw or less.
- One microfridge (combination refrigerator/microwave).
Students cannot have both a microwave and a microfridge; they cannot have both a refrigerator and a microfridge.
Students can have a microwave and a refrigerator only if they are both plugged into an amperage overload protector. This device allows the microwave or refrigerator to operate only at one time. One such device is the Avanti AC-3 Inn Control available online at http://www.rhl.org/sdl/ShopBy/Essentials/Amperage-Overload-Protector. The campus bookstore also be sells these devises for $49.95.
If you prefer to rent a refrigerator or a microfridge, you may contact the Refrigerator Leasing Company, Inc., in Oneonta at 1-800-423-9220 or 607-431-9525 for more information.
Can I bring a rug?
Yes. None of the student rooms are carpeted.
Can I bring a TV?
Yes. Enhanced cable services are provided in all student rooms free of charge. Additional programming is not available for puchase. Additional detail can be found in the Housing Policy Guide.
What is the mattress size?
All beds in the residence halls have extra-long twin mattresses (33"x 81").
Are there cooking facilities available?
There are three common area kitchens located in the residence halls, one in Catskill Hall, one in O’Connor Hall, and one in Murphy Hall. Use of these kitchens is open to students living in the residence halls when a Resident Assistant is on duty. First priority for use of the Kitchens will be given to the residents of Catskill, O’Connor, and Murphy Halls. College recognized groups may reserve the kitchen for use for special events. Reservations and inquires should be made with the RD of the respective building. The Riverview townhouses have full kitchens in each townhouse; these kitchens are for the use of the residents of that particular townhouse.
Can I move in early?
No. Students can move into their residence hall rooms no earlier than the established date and time listed in your housing assignment mailing. Additional detail can be found in the Housing Policy Guide.
What is the guest policy?
Students are permitted to have overnight guests over the age of 18 with their roommate's permission. Guests must be registered with the Resident Director of the building 24 hours prior to the guest's arrival to campus and must obtain an Overnight Guest Pass (from the RA or RD). Hosts are responsible for the behavior of their guests (whether staying overnight or not) and may be held judicially accountable if their guests violate college regulations. Overnight guests are limited to a stay of no more than 4 days per month, and no more than two guests during any one visit. Additional detail can be found in the Housing Policy Guide.
How do I access the internet in the residence halls?
Internet services are provided on the Bronco Wireless internet system. More information about the wireless network and system requirement is available from the CIS website.
Where do I do my laundry?
Laundry facilities are provided free of charge in all residence halls for full-time, matriculated, residential students. There is no charge to use the washers and dryers, but students much provide their own detergents, etc. Additional detail can be found in the Housing Policy Guide.
Where do first year students and returning students live?
Both first year students and returning students reside in all residence halls on campus. The only exception to this is Catskill Hall, which houses only returning students and some entering transfer students.
Are there any non-smoking residence halls?
All residence halls are smoke-free.
Can I have a car on campus?
All students who wish to have a vehicle on campus must purchase a parking permit from University Police. Please call (607) 746-4700 for more details.
What forms of public transportation are available?
The Trailways of New York bus station is located at the Sunoco gas station on the corner of Main and Kingston Streets (Highways 10 and 28). Trailways runs local service to Oneonta, as well as to Syracuse, NYC, Albany, and Binghamton. You can view the schedule at http://www.trailwaysny.com/html/english/fares.asp.