The Second Chance Scholarship Program sponsored by Warren O. Hill ’60 provides deserving, non-traditional students a second chance at a college education with performance incentives. Second Chance Scholars are individuals who, for a variety of reasons, did not attend or graduate from college immediately after high school.
This program is unlike a traditional scholarship. Awards to Second Chance Scholars are based on performance after the student finishes coursework—the higher the GPA, the greater the reward a student receives. Students can receive up to $1,500 each semester. This reward system has been proven to be a tremendous incentive for students and motivates them to work even harder. The results? Second Chance Scholars will have grades higher than the college average. This leads to better academic performance and ultimately higher quality job opportunities following graduation.
SUNY Delhi students who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply for the Second Chance Scholarship.
• Must be enrolled or applying to SUNY Delhi;
• Must be economically disadvantaged;
• Must be motivated to pursue an Associate or Bachelor degree to completion;
• Must demonstrate financial need by applying for Financial Aid and have a FAFSA completed by the scholarship deadline date;
• The date of first enrollment in college must be at least three (3) years after the applicant's high school graduation or equivalency (GED), or, a minimum of three years time between attending schools;
• Must not have earned a previous postsecondary degree;
• Continuing students must have a minimum 2.3 cumulative GPA, prior to the semester for which they apply (not applicable for students currently enrolled in their first semester);
• Be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours for the semester; and
• Must submit a complete application packet to the College Foundation, Bush Hall, Room 171. Packets available exclusively online.
Students are required to send a letter of thanks to their benefactor, Warren O. Hill, in care of the College Foundation at Delhi, Inc., Bush Hall, Room 171.
Scholar Acceptance Agreement
Students are required to sign a Scholarship Acceptance Agreement form, which stipulates agreement to the terms of receiving the scholarship award.
Scholars will be selected based on their academic performance, their backgrounds, obstacles they have had to overcome, overall goals, and why they feel they would be a good candidate for a Second Chance Award. The application must include a Scholarship Application Eligibility Determination, Scholarship Application Applicant Information form, an autobiographical summary statement of 500 words or less, at least one academic reference and one personal reference.
The following charts show the two levels of awards made based on credit hours earned and grade point average for the semester:
Full-time Student (Minimum 12 earned credit hours)
|Semester GPA||Amount of Award|
|3.5 - 4.0*||$1250|
|3.0 - 3.49||$700|
|2.3 - 2.99||$200|
*students with a 4.0 will receive a $250 bonus
Maximum available per student per year: $3,000
Lifetime Cap: 4 semesters
Total Scholarships Available per year: Minimum 7, Max 30, depending on semester performance of scholar cohort.
Print a PDF version of this page
phone: (607) 746-4550
fax: (607) 746-4104