College Catalog Fall 2016 - Spring 2017
Technical Standards for Refrigeration, Air-Conditioning, Plumbing and Heating Programs
The technical standards listed below are intended to inform students of the skills, abilities, and behavioral expectations required in this program. These technical standards reflect performance abilities and characteristics that are necessary to successfully complete the requirements of this program at SUNY Delhi. These standards are not conditions of admission to the program, but persons interested in applying for admission to the program should review this list to develop a better understanding of the skills, abilities, and behavioral expectations necessary to successfully complete the program. The College complies with the requirements and spirit of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990; therefore, the College will endeavor to make reasonable accommodations for participants with disabilities who are otherwise qualified.
General: Apply theories and principles for proper installation, maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair of cooling components and systems.
• Understand textbooks, handouts, diagrams, and charts.
• Visualize three-dimensional objects.
• Take measurements and do conversions.
• Interpret read-outs on meters, gauges, scales, and other measurement devices.
• Identify names and functions of cooling components.
• Explain operating characteristics of cooling systems.
• Relate concepts of physics, chemistry, and electricity to operations of cooling systems.
• Identify tools and materials.
• Follow safety procedures.
• Inspect and test cooling components and systems.
• Recognize indicators of malfunctions.
• Draw conclusions based on a review of findings.
• Formulate service or repair plan.
• Perform procedures according to proper specifications.
General: Use sensory cues to conduct inspections and tests to determine causes of failures, and respond properly.
• Interpret read-outs on meters, gauges, and other measuring devices.
• Distinguish identifying colors of wires, knobs, and other objects.
• Recognize and compare shapes and forms of objects.
• Detect and respond to indicators of malfunctions.
• Select appropriate materials, tools, and equipment for maintenance and repairs.
General: Possess sufficient physical strength, flexibility, and dexterity to safely handle electrical and mechanical parts.
• Operate necessary tools, equipment, and machinery.
• Remove and replace failed components.
• Position and maneuver in confined spaces to do repairs.
• Work at varying heights.
• Lift and transport equipment and materials as necessary.
General: Communicate effectively to gather and convey information.
• Speak, write, and understand English.
* Obtain necessary information from oral and written sources.
• Express information coherently.
General: Behave appropriately and safely in a cooperative learning environment.
• Fulfill personal and shared responsibilities.
• Work cooperatively with partners and groups.
• Exercise good judgment.
• Follow safety procedures.
General: Function safely in a refrigeration and air-conditioning lab.
Work for prolonged periods exposed to:
• Extreme noise
• Extreme heat
• Sharp tools and materials
• Electrical equipment
• Chemicals and toxins
• Dust and fumes
• Machinery with moving parts
• Slippery or uneven surfaces
• Variations in lighting