College Catalog Fall 2016 - Spring 2017
Technical Standards for Landscape Design and Management Programs
The technical standards listed below are intended to inform students of the skills, abilities, and behavioral expectations required in this program. These technical standards reflect performance abilities and characteristics that are necessary to successfully complete the requirements of this program at SUNY Delhi. These standards are not conditions of admission to the program, but persons interested in applying for admission to the program should review this list to develop a better understanding of the skills, abilities, and behavioral expectations necessary to successfully complete the program. The college complies with the requirements and spirit of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990; therefore, the college will endeavor to make reasonable accommodations for participants with disabilities who are otherwise qualified.
General: Solve complex problems through analysis of problem elements and synthesis of problem elements into coherent solutions.
- Read and understand assignment requirements.
- Frame and ask questions relevant to the solution of assignments.
- Develop ability to self criticize.
- Research topics--both from previous instruction and outside or additional sources--to support solutions.
- Apply basic math, geometry, and algebra in solution of technical problems.
- Distinguish important from unimportant information in problem solving.
- Explore multiple solutions to various situations and problems.
General: Use sensory cues to distinguish when something is not operating properly, or is not normal.
Specific: Develop solutions from observation and through effective oral presentations, graphic illustrations, and written reports.
General: Possess mobility and manual dexterity to safely operate equipment. Must possess mobility, strength and dexterity to use hand and power tools in an outdoor setting.
Specific: Be able to operate and control complex equipment/machines, and possess the ability to lift and move heavy loads.
General: Communicate to gather and convey information.
- Speak, write, and understand English
- Obtain necessary information from oral and written sources.
- Present concepts, solutions, and ideas orally, graphically, and in writing.
General: Behave appropriately in both self-directed and shared-learning environments.
- Work independently with minimal supervision.
- Work cooperatively with partners and groups.
- Follow through with responsibilities in a timely manner.
- Work diligently and put in necessary time to complete tasks.
- Persist on difficult tasks.
- Exercise good judgment.
General: Function safely in outdoor/indoor labs and design studios.
Work for prolonged periods amidst:
- Artificial lighting
- Various outdoor climates, including heat, cold, and wet conditions
- Fellow students and faculty/staff