College Catalog Fall 2016 - Spring 2017
Technical Standards for Mechatronics Design Programs
The technical standards listed below are intended to inform students of the skills, abilities, and behavioral expectations required in this program. These technical standards reflect performance abilities and characteristics that are necessary to successfully complete the requirements of this program at SUNY Delhi. These standards are not conditions of admission to the program, but persons interested in applying for admission to the program should review this list to develop a better understanding of the skills, abilities, and behavioral expectations necessary to successfully complete the program. The College complies with the requirements and spirit of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990; therefore, the College will endeavor to make reasonable accommodations for participants with disabilities who are otherwise qualified.
General: Use technical, mathematical, and analytical/visualization skills to create computer-assisted design/drawings and technical documentation. Conduct inspections/troubleshoot and take the necessary measures to solve the technical problem according to applicable standards.
- Interpret technical manuals/drawings, analog/digital meters, oscilloscopes, and other measuring devices.
- Differentiate and determine the most logical solution using predetermined problem-solving techniques (Visualize 2D/3D geometric shapes and their rotations).
- Solve technical problems using logic and other mathematical solutions.
- Create, design, and implement technical drawings and processes.
- Identify colors, sounds, smells, and other sensory inputs, and respond accordingly for safe operations (visual/audible alarms and system conditions).
- Select appropriate materials, tools, and equipment for installation, maintenance, and repairs.
- Observe and accurately recreate approved procedures.
General: Possess physical strength, flexibility, and dexterity needed to safely perform assigned tasks.
- Design technical drawings and mechanical processes, and operate tools and machinery demonstrating proper hand-eye coordination.
- Execute computer commands and operations to draw, edit, render, and animate designs.
General: Communicate to gather and convey information.
- Speak, write, and understand English.
- Obtain necessary information from oral and written sources.
- Express information accurately and coherently.
- Use correct spelling and grammar in drawing work and report writing.
General: Behave appropriately in both self-directed and shared learning environments.
- Work cooperatively with partners, groups, and independently, as needed, with minimal supervision.
- Exhibit strong work ethics through diligence, persistence, and punctuality while demonstrating sound judgment.
- Conform to prescribed safety procedures.
General: Function safely within an automated manufacturing/industrial setting.
- Work for prolonged periods amidst:
- Variation in lighting, air-conditioning, electrical equipment, and machinery
- Sharp tools and materials; chemicals and toxins; heat, dust and fumes
- Slippery or uneven surfaces and noise
- Varying heights and confined spaces
- Dress appropriately for work and environmental conditions.