Wireless Usage Policy
SUNY Delhi - Wireless Usage Policy
SUNY Delhi Wireless provides students living in the residence halls the ability to further their educational experience. The purpose of SUNY Delhi Wireless is to provide students access to the educational resources on the Internet. It is the responsibility of every subscriber using SUNY Delhi Wireless to comply with applicable laws, regulations and SUNY Delhi policies. Non-compliance with policies set forth herein, will result in immediate termination of SUNY Delhi Wireless service. Additionally, disciplinary action may be taken and/or notification of the appropriate authorities (local, state or federal).
Any user connected through a wireless connection to SUNY Delhi Wireless, agrees to the terms and conditions of the SUNY Delhi Wireless Network Usage policies and all other SUNY Delhi policies. Below is a list of inappropriate actions that will result in the immediate termination of SUNY Delhi Wireless services.
- Individual connection: A network connection supplied by SUNY Delhi Wireless is solely for the use of the individual owner of the Network Interface Card (NIC). Connections, including network cards, may not be shared among multiple users. The owner of the NIC will be held responsible for any violations of SUNY Delhi policies regardless of the user.
- Shared connections: SUNY Delhi Wireless users cannot use any mechanisms (either hardware or software) to provide network connectivity to others or multiple personal devices.
- Privacy & Security: There is no implied network security or privacy provided by wireless network connections. Be aware that any data transmitted may potentially be accessed by others. SUNY Delhi and SUNY Delhi Wireless networks are the property of SUNY Delhi. SUNY Delhi reserves the right to monitor and/or supervise any data transmitted on their network.
- Anti-Virus Software: All computers must have anti-virus software installed. The software must be updated on a weekly basis. SUNY Delhi reserves the right to disconnect computers from the campus network if they are found to be infected with a computer virus.
- File Sharing: Users are responsible for the security of their computer system. File sharing is strongly discouraged. If you choose to do so, shared files should be password protected. Be aware that If you mis-configure file sharing or download certain files, others may be able to affect and alter your computer. SUNY Delhi is not responsible for any loss of data. You are also responsible for the content of files distributed from your NIC. Current laws and campus policy contain significant penalties for harassment, libel, invasion of privacy, software piracy, pornography, and other such crimes.
- Copyright: Distribution of copyrighted materials such as computer software and music is prohibited. Providing copyrighted materials, including copyrighted music in mp3 format, is a violation of Federal Copyright Laws (U.S.C. Title 17).
- Monetary gain: Network access for monetary gain or the business activities of individuals, groups or organizations is prohibited. Re-sale of access or services is strictly prohibited.
- Domain registration: The registration of commercial hostnames to a SUNY Delhi Wireless IP address is strictly prohibited.
- Servers: Establishing a server of any kind is strictly forbidden. Any service that over-utilizes the shared bandwidth is prohibited. Some examples of servers are: FTP, Web servers, email servers, and Limewire or similar programs. Computers that overuse bandwidth may be subject to immediate termination of service.
- Port Scanning: Scanning for computers on any network using port scanners or network probing software including packet-sniffers is prohibited. Viewing, copying, altering or destroying any data or connecting to a host on a network without permission of the owner is a violation of this policy. Attempts to breach network security will result in immediate termination of service and subject you to judicial action.
The SUNY Delhi Wireless network is monitored and violators of SUNY Delhi and SUNY Delhi Wireless policies will be denied service and referred to the appropriate authority. Violators may also be liable for any associated costs.
SUNY Delhi reserves the right to revise SUNY Delhi Wireless policies at any time.