Two year Associate in Applied Science (AAS) or Associate in Occupational Studies (AOS) Degree
Construct Your Career in Home Building!
Be part of the nation's oldest and best post-secondary program for carpentry and construction.
Both degree options focus on essential building skills and techniques, and provide
every student with hands-on learning through real life building projects. These degrees
will prepare you for direct employment in the ever growing construction field, whether
working for a construction firm or starting your own business in residential construction,
remodeling, or woodworking.
The Associate in Occupational Studies degree prepares students to enter directly into the construction field with an emphasis on hands-on experience and desirable skills that make you highly marketable in the industry.
The Associate in Applied Sciences degree also provides students the experience and skills they need to enter the workforce and includes general education classes that prepare students to easily transition into one of several bachelor degree programs at SUNY Delhi.
Our Residential Construction program is open to students of all skill levels who have a passion for working with their hands and a strong attention to detail, and who take pride in their work. Students will learn all aspects of home building from creating plans, to construction of residential structures, and completing fine finishes. Skills are developed in carpentry, masonry, roofing, drywall installation, and more. A certificate in cabinet making for advanced wood working techniques is also available.
- Our facilities include a fully equipped carpentry lab, cabinet shop, and masonry lab.
- Each year students build a full residential structure, renovate a home, or construct additions for actual customers in the local community.
- All industry safety standards and information are included and reinforced in all lab work.
- Experienced instructors who are also building professionals with years of experience.
- Our student chapter of the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) takes field trips, participates in competitions, and volunteers in the community.
- Students attend conventions and trade shows like Journal of Light Construction LIVE, NAHB International Builders Show, and more.
- Students can put their skills to the test by competing in Skills USA and NAHB student contests.
- The cabinetmaking certificate is a 1-year program where students learn furniture making, decorative techniques, case construction, plywood and veneer work, and hand finishing.
The Delhi Advantage
- A history of commitment to the building trades as the first college in the nation to offer a building/construction program.
- SUNY Delhi was the national champion for NAHB the associate student competition in 2018, and has finished in the top five for the last five years.
- Our graduates are employed in every part of the carpentry and homebuilding industry. Several alumni own their own businesses or are master tradespeople in woodworking, cabinetry, masonry, carpentry, and more.
Still Have Questions?Request more info!
SUNY Delhi has the only program with such a strong hands-on component to their curriculum. You can take a student from the lab and give them lumber, and they’ll know what to do with it. Those real-world skills on top of the book knowledge is a huge advantage going into the workforce. I recommend Delhi to anyone who asks.Jeff Rainforth ‘95 Vice President & Co-founder, Phelps Construction Group
What Can You Do with This Degree?
- General Contractor
- Roofing contractor
- Home Inspector
- Building Code Inspector
- Theatrical Set Building/Construction
- Cabinet/Furniture Maker
- Sales Representative
- John Gonzalez ‘01
Owner – R.J. Millworkers, Oneonta, NY
- Matthew Millham ‘17
Associate Editor – Fine Homebuilding Magazine
- Lawrence Dykhouse ‘95
President – Dykhouse Construction Co Inc, Midland Park, NJ
- Jeff Haines ‘91
Owner – Haines Home Improvement, Brooklyn, CT