Delhi College Senate Minutes Sept. 10, 2007
Meeting called to order by Presider Julee Miller
Quorum established at 4:20 p.m.
Present: Senators: Kathryn DeZur, Steve Dixon, Donna Dougherty, Joan Erickson, Terry Hamblin, Ursula Herz, Kim MacLeod, Leslie Mokay, Kathleen Ogborn, Lori Osterhoudt, Jeff Stedman, Marsha Stock, Mary Wake, Linda Weinberg, John Taylor
Absent: Sean Babcock, Linnea Burwood, , Douglas Dune, Robert Fisher, Mike Spisto, Carolyn Tolley
The minutes from the June 13th meeting were approved.
We need a new recorder for meetings Julee Miller is going to see how the former recorder, Jamie MacNaught. was selected.
Confirmation of new members of the Budge and Planning Committee was tabled pending an open call for nominations.
The following issues need to be taken back to divisions and discussed:
- Attendance Policy
- Syllabus Rollover vs New Each Semester ("Cut and Paste")
- The advantages and disadvantages of a rollover from the previous semester were discussed. Discussion centered around the difficulties faced when a different instructor is teaching the course vs. the advantage of not having to re-do the uniform syllabus in its entirety each semester.
- Kathryn DeZur suggested that Survey Monkey be used to determine the opinion of the faculty. A motion was made to this effect and was passed unanimously.
- College Senate has been asked to consider recommending the addition of an "XF" grade for students who fail a course for disciplinary reasons.
- This would include those who are disciplined for academic integrity violations as well as disruptive behavior in the classroom.
- There was much discussion, especially about how (if) a student could remove an XF grade. There was a suggestion that the grade (F or XF) be the choice of the professor. It might also be given by the Conduct Council.
- Leslie Mokay agreed to determine if XF was a grade that could be used in addition to the more traditional letter grades.
- Discussion will continue at the next meeting after this has been brought to the Divisions.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:10 pm.
Next meeting is Monday September 24th.
Jared Yando, Presider