COLLEGE SENATE MEETING MINUTES
March 26, 2007
Meeting called to order by Presider Julee Miller
Quorum established at 4:10 p.m.
- Ex Officio: President Candace Vancko
- Senators: Sean Babcock, Steve Dixon, Douglas Dune, Joan Erickson, Terry Hamblin, Kim MacLeod, Leslie Mokay, Kathleen Ogborn, Manly Shults, Mike Spisto, Jeff Stedman, Marsha Stock, John Taylor, Mary Wake,
- Absent: Linnea Burwood, Kathryn DeZur, Donna Dougherty, Robert Fisher, Ursula Herz, Lori Osterhoudt, Tom Recinella, Carolyn Tolley, Linda Weinberg
Minutes from March 12, 2007 meeting were approved.
- Federal Appropriations Requests (prioritized): $750,000 to complete the golf course irrigation project (under the Center of Excellence) – possibility that this may be funded this year. Rural Health Initiative which includes funding for on-line nursing courses. Assist with nurse training in Republic of Georgia – money to be used by our nursing faculty to go and do an assessment of nurse training and skills.
- Spent last week with Joel in Charlotte and Raleigh, North Carolina and Washington, DC. Receptions with other SUNY schools. Good turnout of alums. In Washington spoke with John Caparella of Gaylord Palms who will help us with a new suite in Alumni to replace the Sheridan suite. He will also help us with carpeting in Alumni Hall.
- Considering a Capital Campaign for 2013 – in time for 100th birthday of the college.
- Enrollment over the top. Greatest increase over other SUNY school for this fall. Creates challenges – programs are beginning to close, wait lists are being made. How do we manage this?
- Riverview project. Probably not ready to open this fall due to getting permits in order which presents challenges for Residence Life.
- Thanks to faculty and staff who helped on Saturday Advantage Day. Parents were very happy. Thanked Craig Wesley for holding it on a Saturday which enabled some to attend who would not have been able to.
ATAC Resolution (Faculty Notebook Project)
- Marsha distributed resolution from ATAC stating that the Administration should furnish all full-time faculty with the laptop or desktop computer of their choice. Much discussion on wording of proposed resolution and how the decision is made of who should or should not get a computer.
- Discussion to add to the resolution computers for full-time professional staff as well as faculty.
- Decision to send proposed resolution back to ATAC. ATAC and AdTAC should come up with a joint resolution which the Senate will present to the Administration.
- Suggestion that ATAC and AdTAC meet with Patrick Masson to look at the structure of these two committees see if they should be reconfigured by the Senate.
University Faculty Senate Representative
- John Taylor’s term limit is up. Need nominations for University Faculty Senate Representative and an Alternate Senator. Nominees must be on faculty and current College Senator. Julee will email a call for nominations.
Online Information from Provost Callas
- Senate should respond in some way to Veterinary Science Department concerns. Suggestion made to compile discussions we have had; talking with Pam Peters and Strategic Planning Committee may bring up more information. Lori Osterhoudt and Julee Miller will put together a response to the Veterinary Science Department.
- Douglas Dune, Steve Dixon and Joan Erickson were elected to serve on the CADI Board.
Meeting was adjourned at 5:17 p.m.
Jared Yando, Presider