Woodworking & Cabinetmaking Tool List
This tool list is for students who are entering the Woodworking/Cabinetmaking one-year certificate program, directly in their first semester (fall) on campus. Approximate cost: $300
Other Carpentry and Building Trades students who take the program as part of their associate's degree should check with the professors in Woodworking/Cabinetmaking for an appropriate list.
- Steel tape measure
- Folding wood rule
- Pencils - not carpenter's pencils - package of #2
- Combination square
- Block plane
- Chisel Set - (set of 6) 1", 3/4", 5/8", 1/2", 3/8", 1/4" (with tip protection or boxed)
- 16 oz. Hammer (curved claw recommended)
- Screwdrivers -standard and Phillips - 2 each #1 and #2
- Cordless drill (12 volt minimum)
- Screwdriver bits for drill
- Set of drill bits 1/16" to 1/4" in 1/16" increments
- Countersink bit - hand or for drill
- Coping saw and blades
- Compass w/adjustment wheel
- Marking gauge - wheel type recommended
- Scratch awl
- Utility knife and blades
- Small craft knife with snap-off, disposable blades
- Nail sets - 1/16" and 1/8"
- Adjustable wrench - 6"
- Safety glasses with side shields (No dark lenses)
- Disposable paper dust masks (with ziplock bag for storage)
- Hearing protection (foam plugs or earmuff -- earmuffs strongly recommended)
- Roll of masking tape - 3/4" wide minimum
- Small bottle of yellow woodworker's glue
- Simple calculator
- Try square - 6" or less
- Dovetail saw or gent saw or dozuki saw - 15 TPI minimum
- Card scraper set - 3 piece set, one rectangular, one gooseneck, one concave/convex
- Graph paper
- Rule 12"
- Sharpie marker
- Shop apron - bib style
- Sliding T-bevel
- Bench plane - #3 or #5
- Chisel 1/8"
- Chip carving knife - (Wayne Barton cutting knife recommended)
- Ceramic pocket sharpening stone, medium/fine combination (Highland Hardware)
- Sharpening stones - Norton 220/1000 and 4000/8000 waterstones (Highland Hardware sells a waterstone starter set that is economical) OR ceramic bench stone set (medium, fine, ultra fine)
- Work Gloves
Work boots and safety glasses are REQUIRED in all lab situations. Students will not participate in labs without them. If you wear prescription glasses, prescription safety glasses are required.
Purchase only professional quality tools. Past students have purchased tools at places such as Sears, Home Depot, Lowe's, and specialty stores. Your entire class will own tools similar or identical to yours. To decrease the possibility of mistaken identity, each tool should be clearly and permanently marked with your name and/or some form of identification number before you arrive to start classes.
Recommended sources for specialty woodworking tools
Tom Ballard Jr.
Pickett Building Materials
6459 State Highway 23
Oneonta, NY 13820
*Tools can be delivered to campus, or picked up in person at the store. Please order early to allow reorder time for out of stock items.