Automotive Mechanics & Automotive Technology
Two-Year Associate in Occupational Studies (AOS) or Associate in Applied Science (AAS) Degree
Get on the fast track to a great job with an automotive degree from SUNY Delhi!
SUNY Delhi’s nationally accredited Automotive programs teach the bumper-to-bumper repair and maintenance of mechanical and electrical systems of personal motor vehicles and show you how to put that knowledge to work! You’ll learn the latest technologies to keep up with new makes and models, with plenty of opportunities to hone your skills in our automotive lab. Instructors are master-certified by the Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Education Foundation and really know their stuff!
The AOS in Automotive Mechanics program includes extra hands-on learning in the automotive lab to prepare you to enter directly into the workforce as a mechanic.
The AAS in Automotive Technology program prepares you for the potential of an advanced degree. You’ll take automotive classes alongside elective and general education courses that can count toward a bachelor’s degree.
If you love cars and working with your hands, you can’t go wrong with our top-tier
automotive programs! Focusing on diagnostics, mechanical repair, and maintenance of modern components
and systems, you will be prepared to work as an automotive technician servicing any
The Delhi Difference
- While many programs focus on sponsored car manufacturers, we teach you the skills to repair all makes and models of cars! You’ll be a well-rounded technician qualified to work at any dealership or repair shop.
- Our students run an actual repair shop in our state-of-the-art auto lab, and process about 800 repairs on local customer-owned vehicles per year. You’ll spend over 850 hours in the lab, making you among the most experienced entry-level technicians in the industry.
- You’ll have an opportunity to participate in SkillsUSA automotive service technology competitions at the state and national level. Our student Peter Bianchi ’12 won the New York State competition in June 2012 and Ethan Kennedy ’19 placed third in 2019.
- Our students host an annual Family Weekend Car Show.
- Join our student-run Automotive Technology Enthusiasts Club and take field trips to car shows around the state.
- You’ll be eligible to sit for up to eight ASE certification exams and the Mobile Air Conditioning Society refrigerant handling certification, which allows you to be hired at a higher rate.
- As an AOS graduate, our articulation agreement with Pennsylvania College of Technology allows you to transfer into their bachelor’s program in automotive management.
- As an AAS graduate, our transfer pledge with Morrisville State College allows you to transfer your credits to their bachelor’s program in automotive mechanics.
Automotive program celebrates 50 years
What Can You Do With This Degree?
- Automotive service technician/mechanic
- Automotive repair business owner
- Service writer/consultant
- Automotive insurance adjuster
- Service shop foreman
- Automotive parts Specialist
- Niko Niforatos ’11 - Owner & Head Technician, Niko’s Auto Repair, Roscoe, NY
- Philip Bianchi ’12 - Technology Education Teacher, Bainbridge-Guilford Central School, Bainbridge, NY
- James Gunipero ’07 - Senior Director of Quality, Peloton Interactive, Brooklyn, NY
- Jeremy Hilton ’01 - Mechanic for New York State Police Troop C, Sidney, NY