Two-year Associate in Applied Science (AAS) or Associate in Occupational Studies (AOS) Degree
Construct your career in homebuilding!
Use your hands and creativity to build the next generation of residential homes and furnishings! As the oldest post-secondary construction program in the nation, we have a strong history of educating skilled craftspeople with the knowledge and experience to excel in the industry. With plenty of hands-on learning opportunities to work on real-life building projects, you’ll master all aspects of homebuilding from creating building plans to the actual construction of residential structures.
The Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree prepares you for the potential of a bachelor’s degree. You’ll take construction classes along with elective and general education courses that can count toward a related four-year degree, such as Construction Management: Building and Design (BT) at SUNY Delhi.
The Associate in Occupational Studies (AOS) degree prepares you to enter directly into the workforce, either to work for a construction company or to start your own business in residential construction, remodeling, or woodworking.
If you have a passion for working with your hands, a strong attention to detail, and take pride in your work, this program is for you! You’ll study construction estimating, framing, carpentry, energy efficiency, masonry, cabinetry, roofing, and much more.
The Delhi Difference
- Our program is the oldest post-secondary construction program in the nation!
- Our outstanding facilities include a fully equipped carpentry lab, cabinet shop, and masonry lab.
- Learn to build everything from the basement to the roof, studs to trim, and cabinets to staircases!
- Our students build full residential structures or additions, and renovate homes for actual clients in the local community.
- Learn from experienced instructors who are also construction professionals with long careers in the industry.
- Our student chapter of the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) takes field trips, participates in competitions, and volunteers in the community.
- Test your skills by competing in Skills USA and NAHB student contests. SUNY Delhi was the 2018 national champion for NAHB in the associate student competition and has finished in the Top 5 for the last five years.
- Enjoy opportunities to attend conventions and trade shows like Journal of Light Construction LIVE, and NAHB International Builders Show.
- You can earn a certificate in cabinetmaking for advanced woodworking techniques.
- Our graduates are employed in every part of the carpentry and homebuilding industry. Several alumni own their own businesses or are master craftspeople in woodworking, cabinetry, masonry, carpentry, and more.
SUNY Delhi has the only program with such a strong hands-on component to their curriculum. You can take a student from the lab and give them lumber, and they’ll know what to do with it. Those real-world skills on top of the book knowledge is a huge advantage going into the workforce. I recommend Delhi to anyone who asks.Jeff Rainforth ’95 Vice President & Co-founder, Phelps Construction Group
"In our program, we work on actual house projects with real clients. We built a big, two-story addition to a client’s house in my freshman year. The job site is a true work environment. We learn how to deal with real-world issues such as interacting with clients and adjusting to changes on the fly. Our program also gives you a lot of flexibility in choosing your path. I’m specializing in remodeling and cabinetmaking. The instructors are willing to spend a lot of one-on-one time with you to advise you and help you go for what you want. They go the extra mile. The whole program is very close-knit, and we all know and help each other.Bram Veldkamp ’21
What Can You Do With This Degree?
- General contractor
- Roofing contractor
- Home inspector
- Building code inspector
- Theatrical set construction
- Cabinet/furniture maker
- Sales representative
- John Gonzalez ’01, Owner – R.J. Millworkers, Oneonta, NY
- Matthew Millham ’17, Associate Editor – Fine Homebuilding Magazine
- Lawrence Dykhouse ’95, President – Dykhouse Construction Co. Inc., Midland Park, NJ
- Jeff Haines ’91, Owner – Haines Home Improvement, Brooklyn, CT