Heating, Ventilating and Air Conditioning
HVAC and Refrigeration Air Conditioning Tool List
The following tools are required for students entering the HVAC or the Refrigeration Air Conditioning associate degree or certificate program. The cost of the tools is approximately $1500. The annual cost of textbooks is approximately $300.
The list includes some manufacturers names and numbers only as a source of reference. With tools, the old adage applies "you get what you pay for." Past students have purchased tools at Sears, Home Depot, Lowe's, and specialty stores. Permanently identify each of your tools with your name or a symbol because your classmates will all have the same or similar looking tools.
* We have TWO Deadlines to order: July 27th and August 10th. Both dates will guarantee delivery of the Tool Kit during the first week of school.
Please see the steps below to secure your tool kit for the 2023 Fall Semester:
- Contact Meir’s Supply at 607-724-2451
- Inform them you are interested in buying the SUNY Delhi Refrigeration Tool Kit
- Be prepared to supply the phone operator with the students’ information and a form of payment.
NOTE: Meir’s supply does not carry all required tools. You will need to purchase the following separately:
- ball peen hammer
- socket set
- cordless drill with impact set/bits
- 2 padlocks.
3 Louisa St
Binghamton, NY 13904
Required General Tool List
- Hammer (8 oz.) ball peen similar to Klein #803-8
- Screwdriver, 4-way or equivalent, similar to Klein #19505
- Precision screwdriver set
- Allen wrenches(long version)) (hex key) 7 sizes, 5/64" through 1/4", 12" long
- Socket set, 1/4" drive set
- Adjustable wrenches, 6" and 12"
- Pliers, lineman type 9"
- Adjustable pliers, (groove joint or water pump) 10"
- Pliers, needle nose 6"
- Steel measuring tape - 8'
- Two padlocks
- One pair safety glasses
- One pair leather palm gloves
- One pocket thermometer - 30-120 degrees Fahrenheit
- One hand held Propane Torch (or Torch Kit) with Propane Tank(for soldering up to 5/8 copper tubing)
- Compressor service ratchet wrench (4" one) similar to Ritchie #60613
- Tubing cutter, (Small Imp) for cutting copper tubing 1/4" to 7/8" diameter, similar to Ritchie #60121
- Tubing cutter, full size, for cutting copper tubing 3/8" to 1 - 5/8" diameter, similar to Ritchie #60102
- Flaring tool kit 1/4" to 5/8" similar to Imperial Eastman #697780
- Swaging tool kit 1/4" to 5/8" similar to Imperial Eastman #193s
- Copper fitting brushes 1/4" to 5/8".
- Refrigeration dual gage manifold set with hoses.
- Two access valve core removers (type that will physically remove core while system is under pressure similar to Ritchie #18990.)
- Multi-meter with Amp Clamp, ohms, continuity, capacitance, Volts, and Amps.
- Tool box of adequate size to hold tools on this list.
- Cordless Drill and Impact set with bits
- 1 Pack of Brazing rod similar to Harris Stay-Silv 6 Phos-Copper silver brazing alloy .050” X 1/8”
Plumbing, Heating and Pipefitting Tool List
Following are the tools required for those students entering the Plumbing, Heating and Pipefitting program for an associate degree or a certificate. The cost of the tools will be about $750. In addition there will be the cost of textbooks of approximately $700.
Purchase only professional quality tools.
This list uses Rigid and other manufacturers' names and numbers only as a source of reference for students’ use in selecting tools for type, size, and quality. With tools, the old adage applies "you get what you pay for." Past students have purchased tools at places such as Sears, Home Depot, Lowe's, and specialty stores. You must permanently identify each of your tools in some fashion because your classmates will all have the same or similar looking tools.
- Roll of electrical tape
- PEX tubing cutter
- 12” straight pipe wrench
- 14” straight pipe wrench
- Cordless drill
- 1 each for cordless drill;
- ¼” hex drive bit
- Flat head screw bit
- #2 Phillips screw bit
- Set of combination wrenches ⅜” through ¾”
- Basin wrench
- 6” adjustable wrench
- 12” adjustable wrench
- Rigid #15 tubing cutter 3/16” to 1 ⅛” capacity
- Rigid #20 tubing cutter ⅝” to 2 ⅛” capacity
- Stubby flat blade screwdriver
- Stubby phillips screwdriver
- Flat blade regular screwdriver
- Phillips regular screwdriver
- Precision screwdriver set
- 5/16” nut driver
- ¼” nut driver
- 16’ tape measure with ¾” or 1” wide blade
- Torpedo level
- Claw hammer
- Wood chisel
- 12” adjustable pliers
- Cold chisel
- Combination square
- Metal or plastic tool box that can be locked with a padlock
- Pocket knife
- side cut pliers
- needle nose pliers
- left cut tin snips
- right cut tin snips
- multi-meter electrical tester
- roll of plumbers emery cloth
- one pound roll of lead-free solder
- 6 oz. or larger soldering paste (flux)
- Wire strippers
- Set of allen wrenches
- 2 carpenter’s pencils
- sharpie type marker
- hard hat
- pair of clear lens safety glasses
- roll of Teflon tape
- 4 oz. or larger pipe dope
- Turbo tip soldering torch
- 14 oz. Propane or MAPP gas cylinder
- Package of shop rags
- Box of adhesive bandages
The approximate cost of these tools is $750.
Please note: Students will not be allowed to participate in lab without hard hat, safety glasses, leather work shoes, and work clothes. Students are expected to have tools and safety equipment with them the first day of classes.