Chosen First Name Process
Chosen First Name Process
What is a Chosen First Name?
A chosen first name is a name that you choose to be called. It is different from your name assigned to you at birth. Chosen first names are also different from your legal or official name of record. SUNY Delhi recognizes that some individuals may use “chosen name,” “lived name,” and/or “preferred name.”
Chosen first names are important to members of our campus community for many reasons. Chosen names are an important way to properly address someone. For some individuals, a chosen first name expresses their gender identity in a more affirming way. The usage of chosen first names, for some, are active ways to avoid reminders of trauma. Chosen first names provide international students a way to use a westernized name that may make them feel more comfortable in their new living and learning environments. Whatever reason an individual has for a chosen name, this policy communicates to individuals that they are recognized, accepted, and celebrated on our campus.
What is the purpose of SUNY Delhi’s Chosen Name Process?
SUNY Delhi recognizes that some individuals wish to use a name other than their legal or official name of record to identify themselves in day-to-day use.
The college acknowledges that a chosen first name can and should be used where possible in the course of college education, business, and communication. This policy is limited to first names and not surnames or family names.
*For non-U.S. citizens, the official name of record is the passport name. The college extends this process in order to help foster a more welcoming, supportive, and affirming campus climate for all members of the campus community.
Allowable Name Formats
Many members of the SUNY Delhi community use a first name that differs from their legal first name. Allowable name formats include (but are not limited to):
- A shortened derivative of a name (e.g., “Sue” for “Susan”)
- A middle name instead of a first name
- First and middle initials (e.g., “A.J.” for “Andrew John”)
- An anglicized or westernized name (e.g, “Peter” instead of “Xingyu”)
- A name that better represents the individual’s gender identity
- A name which the individual is in the process of legally changing
The college will not accept a chosen first name that is vulgar or offensive, obscene, fanciful, or creates confusion of the individual with another person or group of people. Names perceived as such will be managed on a case-by-case basis between the individual submitting a request, the Assistant Director of the MOSAIC Multicultural Center and/or the Chief Diversity Officer.
Where can my Chosen First Name appear now?
- Health & Counseling (Access your account/patient portal where you can update your name, gender identity, and pronouns)
- Student Mail Room (Contact 607-746-4842 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
- BroncoCONNECT (Access your BroncoCONNECT account and click your account profile to update your name. Contact 607-746-4748 or email@example.com for assistance, if needed.)
- Campus Identification Cards (Or contact 607-746-4750)
- Business Cards
Where will my Chosen First Name appear once my chosen first name request is submitted and approved?
- Class Rosters
- Grade Rosters
- Advisee Listings
- Bronco Web
- Residence Life Rosters
- Email Display
- Sign-on Display/Computer Login (SUNY Delhi issued computer)
- Vancko Hall/MOODLE
- Time and attendance records
The following areas/services will require programming changes and testing. They may become available in the future:
- Degree Works
- Diplomas (you will be reached out to prior to printing)
- Commencement Programs (you will be reached out to prior to printing)
- Residence Hall/Housing Systems
- Meal Plan & ID Card Transaction Systems
- Campus directories
*A student’s legal/official name of record name will remain unchanged in all other college-related systems.
Who can change my Chosen First Name?
You are the only person who can change your name with the college. No one can submit a chosen name request on your behalf.
How do I change my Chosen First Name?
Current and Newly-Enrolled Students
Submit the Chosen First Name Request Form. You will be contacted by a MOSAIC Multicultural Center staff person within 48 hours upon submitting, requesting a meeting to further discuss the process.
Update your name by logging in to Time and Attendance. Click “SUNY HR Self Service.” Complete the Personal Information Form, located near the bottom of the web page.
Update your name by visiting the Alumni Association’s website.
Where will my legal/official first name of record be used?
- Official transcripts
- Enrollment verification
- Paychecks and pay stubs
- Medical Records
- Financial Aid Documents
Student Accounts Documents
- Federal Immigration Documents
- Communication home
* The college will attempt to display an individual’s chosen name to the college community where feasible and appropriate, and make a good faith effort to update reports, documents and systems accordingly. If you find a place where your chosen name is not being used, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.