Michael T. Sullivan, Vice President for College Advancement, advocates for SUNY Delhi, works to build and strengthen relationships with elected and appointed state, federal and local officials, and provides information to decision-makers to assist them in setting policies that affect the college and higher education in general.
- Representing and advocating on behalf of SUNY Delhi for funding and policy initiatives to federal, state and municipal government and agencies;
- Informing SUNY Delhi personnel about issues coming before the legislature affecting the college;
- Developing and responding to funding and policy initiatives;
- Assisting SUNY Delhi personnel with interactions and events involving elected officials;
- Planning and coordinating educational experiences for students, faculty and staff
interacting with legislators.
Michael T. Sullivan is available to assist staff in preparing for any meetings with elected or appointed government officials, and appreciates advance notice of any visit by such officials to campus. College faculty, staff and students who meet with elected or appointed officials as independent citizens should not represent themselves as stating official positions of SUNY Delhi. Those wishing to advocate on behalf of the college during a personal visit with a government official should consult with the Office of Marketing and Communications for assistance with preparation and clarification of college positions.
Coordination of messages to federal, state and municipal government representatives is the key to effective government relations. The policy that guides SUNY Delhi's government relations is:
Any correspondence by college employees with public officials can be deemed as lobbying and present a threat to SUNY Delhi's local, state or federal funding. No SUNY Delhi employee may directly contact a legislative representative for the purpose of conducting SUNY Delhi business, promoting college policy or inviting a legislative representative to a campus event without prior consultation with the Office of Marketing and Communications.
Inquiries from government officials and their representatives to visit SUNY Delhi or utilize campus facilities should be referred directly to Michael T. Sullivan, Vice President for College Advancement, at 607-746-4520 or firstname.lastname@example.org.