Two-Year Associate in Applied Science (AAS) Degree
The outdoors is your classroom. Can you hear it calling?
Offering SUNY’s only program in Adventure Recreation, our two-year program prepares you to work in the rapidly growing outdoor recreation industry. Become an outdoor recreation or adventure sports professional and create your own path after graduation, with career options that range from becoming a traditional guide or instructor, to pairing outdoor activities with therapeutic counseling and rehabilitation. We also offer a seamless transfer into our bachelor’s program in Recreation and Sports Facilities Management (BBA).
If you enjoy outdoor adventures and activities, this program is for you! Immerse yourself in the experiential coursework that covers topics like backpacking, camping, snow sports, kayaking and white water rafting, games and ropes courses, programming and leadership, and wilderness first aid.
The Delhi Difference
- Become part of the booming outdoor recreation industry that contributes $887 billion in consumer spending and generates 7.6 million jobs (313,000 in New York State alone), according to the Outdoor Industry Association.
- Nestled in the foothills of the Catskill Mountains with four-season access to mountains, forests, rivers, lakes, and reservoirs, SUNY Delhi is the ideal setting for an adventure recreation education. Enjoy field trips, hiking, camping, paddling, and whitewater rafting.
- Learn in our 50-acre Outdoor Education Center, leading guided tours and hikes for local community members, and enjoy easy access to hiking, biking, skiing, boating, and camping.
- Our dedicated faculty are experienced in several areas of outdoor recreation and stay on top of latest trends in the industry to incorporate them into the curriculum.
- Complete a summer internship at a specialized camp or with a guiding outfitter.
- Find service learning opportunities or summer employment at our Outdoor Education Center, NYS Department of Environmental Conservation, or NYC Department of Environmental Protection.
- Earn direct college credit by completing any National Outdoor Leadership School program.
- Earn nationally recognized certifications that boosts your resume, including Wilderness First Aid, American Red Cross Lifeguarding, Responding to Emergencies CPR/AED/First Aid, and American Canoe Association certifications.
- Take advantage of the opportunity to complete the educational requirements to become a certified Recreational Associate with the National Recreation and Park Association.
- Our faculty will provide advisement for internships and career connections related to your area of interest.
What Can You Do With This Degree?
Work for various industries or organizations like architectural firms, construction companies, engineering firms, government agencies, and manufacturers as an:
- Outdoor guide/outfitter/instructor (paddling, hiking, skiing, climbing, and fishing)
- Adventure program coordinator/director
- Adventure-based counselor
- Ski patrol professional
- Ecotourism operator
- Camp director/recreation coordinator
- Annie Butler ’14, Paddling Guide - Crystal Seas Kayaking
- Heather Henderson ’04, Assistant Adventure Director - Clark Sports Center
- Karen Lundgard ’03, Chief Operating Officer - Girl Scouts of Greater New York
- Mike Rougeux ’00, Climbing Coach & Program Director - The Bend Endurance Academy