Academic Dismissal Information for Spring 2023
Information will be emailed to academically dismissed students on or about May 17, 2023. There are three different versions of the dismissal letter, depending on the student's status at the start of the Fall 2023 semester.
Type of Dismissal
- Version #1: Academically dismissed students who did not meet GPA requirements (pdf) for the current semester.
- Version #2: Academically dismissed students who were accepted back on appeal (pdf) for the current semester, but did not achieve a semester GPA of 2.0.
- Version #3: Academically dismissed students who were accepted back as readmits (pdf) for the current semester, but did not achieve a semester GPA of 2.0.
Conditions of Appeal
Among the factors which will be considered by the Scholastic Standing Committee when reviewing a student’s appeal are the following: (meeting one or more of the following conditions does NOT guarantee that a student’s appeal will be accepted.)
- Cumulative Grade Point Average.
- Grade Point Average for the most recent semester(s).
- Unsatisfactory grades in courses required by the program for which the student is registered.
- The number of credit hours of work completed.
- Satisfactory completion of the individual’s academic probation program contract.
- A circumstance outside of the student's control - illness or accident (of/to the student), serious illness or death of an immediate relative - which may be reasonably assumed to have adversely affected the student’s performance to a significant degree, and which, if ignored, would create an injustice.
- Evidence that the student was rapidly recovering from a poor start (freshmen only) and shows the motivation and capacity to catch up.
- If the student’s GPA is within a few points of the required minimum.
- The student’s attendance record.
- If the student has had ongoing discussions during the semester with a member of the academic or professional staff regarding a dramatic change in program, the staff member may intervene on behalf of the student. (In this case, the student’s appeal would have to be accepted by the department chair or division dean of the new program, based on program requirements.)
- If the Scholastic Standing Committee accepts the student’s appeal, the student will be required to achieve a minimum term GPA of 2.0 at the end of the next semester, to avoid being dismissed.
Conversely, you SHOULD NOT APPEAL when your case involves other circumstances, including but not limited to:
- You carried too many credits.
- You were involved in too many extra-curricular activities (including varsity sports).
- Your housing conditions were inappropriate for study.
Students who do not meet the conditions of appeal are advised to contact the Enrollment Services Office (telephone 607-746-4550), to review procedures for possible Readmission to Delhi.
Students who are considering appeals to dismissal should be aware that they may no longer be eligible for financial aid. The Guidelines for Financial Aid state that a student must maintain satisfactory academic progress in his or her course of study. Students whose appeals are accepted will be contacted by Student Financial Services with details regarding their eligibility.
Students whose appeals are accepted will be placed on academic probation, and will need to contact their advisor or school office to prepare an academic probation contract and revised class schedule for next semester.
How to Appeal your Academic Dismissal
Option 1- Appeal Now
If you have grounds to appeal your dismissal, you are encouraged to complete and submit the online appeal form.
Submit Online Appeal Form Now!
If you choose to fax/email your appeal, fill out the The Appeal Form (doc). Please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org, sending it from your Delhi student email address. You will receive an automated response that your appeal has been received. If you fax your appeal, please send it to 607-746-4569. Your appeal must be neatly handwritten or typed on the appeal form, and must be emailed, faxed or delivered by 4 p.m. on Thursday, June 1, 2023. After the deadline, it will not be considered. You will be advised via your Delhi email address if your appeal was accepted or denied after 12 p.m. on Thursday, June 8, 2023.
To mail your appeal, it should be sent to:
Scholastic Standing Committee
c/o Office of Records and Registration
124 Bush Hall
Delhi, NY 13753
Option 2 - Apply After One Semester has Passed
Your second option is to apply for readmission to Delhi after at least one semester has passed. If this option interests you, you are required to successfully complete at least six college credits with a grade of C or better in each course before you may apply for readmission to SUNY Delhi. Please review the directions to Apply for Readmission to Delhi for more details on this option.
Residence Life Letter (Applies to fall dismissals only.)
Letter from Residence Life explaining how to remove your belongings should you be dismissed or if your appeal is denied. Please read to avoid unnecessary charges to your student account.
Schedule a pick up appointment and complete the online form.