Electrical Construction and Instrumentation
Two-Year Associate in Occupational Studies (AOS) or Associate in Applied Science (AAS) Degree
Harness the power of electrical systems!
Our programs in Electrical Construction and Instrumentation prepare for a variety of careers as an electrician. With plenty of hands-on learning opportunities, you’ll learn the skills to install, maintain, and repair electrical systems in residential, commercial, and industrial settings.
The Associate in Occupational Studies (AOS) program includes extra lab instruction to prepare you to enter directly into the workforce as a technician.
The Associate in Applied Science (AAS) program prepares you to enter the workforce and includes electives and general education courses that qualify you to pursue a bachelor’s degree. Related bachelor’s programs at SUNY Delhi include Mechatronics Technology (BT) and Construction Management: Design and Building (BT).
If you are interested in understanding electrical systems and enjoy working with your hands, this degree is for you! You’ll study electrical theory, electrical system design, codes and standards, control diagrams, programmable logic controllers, and more. You’ll be able to work with electrical power, communications, lighting, and control systems in both residential and commercial settings.
The Delhi Difference
- Our dedicated industry-standard facilities and laboratories feature both residential and commercial wiring systems, allowing you to replicate real-world installations and repairs.
- Our expert instructors have years of experience in electrical construction, maintenance, alternative energy, and power generation/distribution.
- Take the required Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) 30-hour Construction safety course. This workplace hazard training is highly valued by employers who place great value on workplace safety.
- Gain advanced knowledge not typically offered at the two-year level by taking electives in energy efficient construction, programmable logic controllers, and low voltage alarms.
- Join our graduates who have mastered the National Electric Code and are qualified to work in any industry that requires electricians on staff.
- Participate in our student chapter of the National Electrical Contractors Association, one of 34 in the world, to gain experience working on electrical installation and repair projects at local homes and businesses in the Delhi community.
- Graduate into a lucrative industry! According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, electricians have above-average job growth. Some of our graduates earn up to $100,000 per year.
Here the teachers know you by name and know you personally so it is a better environment than a big university.”WSafari Johnson ’20
What Can You Do With This Degree?
- Electrical line technician
- Electrician/HVAC technician/contractor
- Electrical mechanic
- Facilities maintenance technician
- Generator installation specialist
- Railroad signal technician
- Instrumentation technician
- Oil & gas exploration controls technician
- Business owner
Here are some of the companies where SUNY Delhi grads have found employment:
- General Electric
- Catskill Solar
- National Grid
- Amtrak & Metro North Railroad
- Corning Glass
- New York State Electric & Gas (NYSEG)