Electrical Construction and Instrumentation: IBEW (online)
Associate of Occupational Studies (AOS) Degree
Turn your work experience into a college degree!
Our Electrical Construction and Instrumentation: IBEW online program allows International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) electricians to turn their work experience into a college degree. Based on the recommendations of the American Council on Education (ACE) workplace experience equivalencies, we grant 51 college credits toward the completion of the 5-year IBEW Inside (I) Journeyman Wireman Apprenticeship program. This leaves you with only 12 credits (4 classes) of general education courses to complete for an associate degree.
As an experienced electrician, you will be able to supplement skills learned on the job and gain a degree that can advance your career. Our program allows you to choose from general education courses like history, government, Spanish, English, math, computer science, and alternative/renewable energy systems.
The Delhi Difference
- In addition to the equated 51 credits, the additional 12 credits of general study courses provide you with a well-rounded education that improves critical thinking skills, writing skills, and understanding of national/global issues.
- Study full time or part time based on what works best for you! Full-time students can complete their degree in as little as one semester.
- Our flexible, supportive online format allows you to study around your work/life schedule.
- Take advantage of our affordable public tuition for online programs.
- Advisement is available for students interested in transferring to an online bachelor’s degree program at SUNY Delhi, or other online institutions like SUNY Empire State College.
- According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, occupations in this field are projected to grow faster than average through 2029.
Application & Degree Requirements
- Proof of successful completion of the 5-year IBEW Inside (I) Journeyman Wireman Apprenticeship
- American Council on Education Transcript
- A mandatory, non-refundable Course Challenge fee of $1,020 ($20/credit hour) is required for SUNY Delhi faculty to evaluate any prior coursework, work experience, and comprehensive written exams. Successful evaluation from the ACE transcript will result in the awarding of the 51 transfer credits.
- Completion of 12 credits of general study courses through SUNY Delhi.
What can you do with this degree?
- Electrical line technician
- Electrician/HVAC technician/contractor
- Electrical mechanic
- Facilities maintenance technician
- Generator installation specialist
- Railroad signal technician
- Instrumentation technician
- Oil & gas exploration controls technician
- Business owner