Employee Assistance Program

Employee Assistance Program

What is EAP?

The New York State Employee Assistance Program is a confidential assessment and referral service for New York State government employees and their family members who need assistance with personal problems or concerns that may be affecting their work performance or overall well-being. EAP is a program designed to assist employees with numerous problems including but not limited to parent-child problems, financial concerns, elder care issues, alcohol and substance abuse, marital problems, depression/anxiety, stress, and more.

Watch this video from NYS EAP to learn more about the program.

SUNY Delhi's local EAP Coordinator is Cathy Harris. Cathy encourages you to contact her directly at 607-746-4688, or if you would prefer to send email: harriscc@delhi.edu. If you have an urgent referral matter, please contact the 24-hour NY State EAP helpline at 1-800-822-0244.

What to expect if I contact EAP

  • Cathy Harris will speak with you about your questions or concerns and, if desired, a meeting will be scheduled to discuss the concern in more depth.
  • Except in very limited circumstances (such as you are about to harm yourself or others), everything you tell Cathy is completely confidential.
  • Part of this discussion will be sorting through what options are available to assist you and providing you with information about resources that provide services for the concern.

Neighbor EAP Referral Coordinators

If it is more convenient for you to speak with neighboring EAP Referral Coordinators, please feel free to contact:

Useful Links

New York State EAP website:

Hotline Phone Numbers

If this is an urgent referral matter, please contact the 24-hour NY State EAP helpline at 1-800-822-0244.

  • 1-800-310-1160
    Life Line is a local hotline which provides telephone counseling, suicide and sexual assault intervention, referral resources, etc.
  • 1-800-362-9874
    LifeWorks is a service provided by NYS in conjunction with the employee unions. It is a free service which offers consultation around child and elder care issues. The service includes free materials such as booklets, audio recordings, and other resources.
  • 1-800-DRUG-HELP or 1-800-662-HELP
    Both numbers provide information and referral regarding alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs.
  • 1-800-342-AIDS or 1-800-822-7422
    The first number is the Centers for Disease Control's National AIDS Hotline which provides information about transmission of HIV, safe sex, and referrals for counseling and testing; the second is Project Inform's HIV/AIDS Treatment Hotline.
  • 1-800-DONT-CUT
    This hotline is sponsored by the group Self Abuse Finally Ends (S.A.F.E.), and it provides information about self-injurious behavior.
  • 1-800-799-7233
    The National Domestic Violence Hotline

Domestic Violence Animal Abuse Database Find local county safe resources for your pet.