Retirement Information & Announcements
NYS Teachers Retirement System (NYSTRS)
Pension & Retirement Education Program (PREP) Seminars
NYS TRS has developed both in-person and video consultation sites where you can learn about NYS TRS benefits, review your benefit options at retirement and receive personalized benefits' estimates. Albany and video consolations are offered year round; in the video sessions you get to “meet” an expert using a webcam. To view the video and in-person sites, visit New York State's Benefits Consultation page. To schedule a consultation, visit New York State Teachers Retirement System NYSTRS.org (using your NYS TRS account) OR call 800-348-7298 ext. 6100.
NYS TRS PREP is designed to help NYSTRS members of all ages with careful financial and retirement planning. Members can tailor PREP to fit their needs by staying for the entire seminar (8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.) or just those modules that help them the most: NYSTRS benefits; financial planning; Social Security; estate planning; retirement - a new beginning; and, the retirement process. Pension & Retirement Education Program.
SUNY has created a new online retirement system called Retirement@work® this new online system centralizes retirement plan benefits and investment providers and will allow employees to manage the retirement programs listed below. Employees who already have accounts with VOYA, TIAA, Valic or Fidelity will need to create an account to “manage” their investments. Information sessions are forthcoming. Stay tuned to Delhi Today for details. View the enrollment guides listed below for more information:
- Create a new SUNY 403(b) Voluntary Saving Program (pdf)
- Participant Quick Reference Guide (pdf)
- Make Changes to your existing SUNY Voluntary Savings and/or ORP Accounts (pdf)
For New Employees Only:
- Optional Retirement Program (ORP) (pdf)
- NYS Teachers (TRS), Employee (ERS) and Police & Fire (PFRS) Retirement Systems (pdf)
Call 866-271-0960 Monday to Friday between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m., and Saturdays between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. for assistance.
Pension and Annuity Income FAQs & Exclusions
NYS Deferred Compensation & SUNY Voluntary Tax Deferred Annuity
Did you know that you can contribute up to the maximum in both your 403(b) SUNY Voluntary Tax Deferred Annuity and your New York State Deferred Compensation Plan account? To learn more or enroll, check out 403(b) SUNY Tax Deferred Annuity (pdf), New York State Deferred Compensation Plan and the SUNY Voluntary Savings Plan websites.
Whether you are planning on retiring soon or thinking ahead to the distant future, NYS Work-Life Services has a variety of resources to assist you: Self-Help Guide, Videos, Seminars and more information about Work Life Services. Additional resources include: Pension benefits calculator (for ERS & PFRS members) and Pension & Retirement Education Program (TRS members), SUNY planning tools and Asset checklist (pdf).
Top 5 Pre-Retirement Goals
Thinking about Retirement? New York State and Local Retirement System (NYSLRS) suggests the top five pre-retirement goals for its members.
Interactive Retirement Planner
NYS Deferred Compensation Plan parented with Nationwide to develop the “On Your Side Interactive Retirement Planner." In less than ten minutes you can set a retirement goal and get suggestions to improve your retirement outlook. Visit My Interactive Retirement Planner to find out more by My Interactive Retirement Planner.
After You Retire
- After you retire, NYS starts calculating the amount of your final retirement benefit. This means you won't receive your full pension right away. For the first few months of your retirement, your first payments will be advance payments - but what are they? Visit New York Retirement News Advice on Advance Payments New York Retirement News Advice on Advance Payments to find out.
- Planning for Retirement: Health Insurance & Related Benefits
- The Social Security Administration has developed several online tools to help you plan for the future: Estimate Your Retirement Benefits and check out other Benefit Calculators.