Executive Questions for Search Committees
- What did you do for a former organization that made a difference and for which you believe you’ll be remembered?
- Describe your experience in leading and managing an organization similar to ours.
- Describe your fiscal management experience: budgeting, reporting, cutting costs, building and maintaining reserves.
- Have you ever had to champion an unpopular change? How did you handle it?
- Have you ever faced a significant ethical problem at work? How did you handle it?
- What do you think the role of (title of position) is in strategic planning for the college?
- Describe your experience with staff development. How do you think your current or most recent staff would describe you?
- How do you stay informed on current ideas in management and higher education?
- Based upon what you have read and heard, what ideas do you have about continuing and increasing the success of this college?
- Are there any programs, policies or actions of the college that you’ve heard of with which you have concerns or differences?
- What are some important trends in higher education and how do they affect us?
- What challenges are you looking for in this position?
- Describe a situation where you were tasked with doing something you were not trained for and in what way you approached it.
- Tell me about a time when you’ve had to develop leaders under you.
- Talk about a time when you influenced others to accept your ideas.
- Tell me about a time when you were able to motivate others to get the desired results.
- Tell me about a time when you were forced to make an unpopular decision.
- If you are hired for this position and are still with SUNY Delhi five years from now, how do you think the college will be different?